Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: new member

Thanks

just joined, as l like to make /build stuff. i am currently in the middle of a auxiliary fuel tank.

folded 1.2mm mild steel sheet, with the two ends and baffle in the middle all mig welded. To then plumb via gravity into main tank.(R1200GS)2004..

l'm planning to tap into the flat low side above left cylinder head. All ideas welcome.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,010 Times in 11,395 Posts
    Hi farm dog - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Good question, I'll see if any of our motorcycle guys has a good answer.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

farm dog (Jul 15, 2017)

Thanks
    I have (several) GS's and I use the Rotopax for aux fuel cells. I have had the big adventure tanks, but I tend to fill them up and they become very heavy on the front, so the square easily stackable 1.8 gallon fuel "cell" is perfect. I can still stack a load of gear (even an occasional passenger) on top of these well built and DOT legal fuel cells. I have used and made other types but these are by fare the best way to go...because inevitably I run out of gas, so I can easily detach the RotopaX and get it filled. Plus you can stack other RotopaX cells on top (i.e. water, first aid kits) CHeck out there website: https://rotopax.com/

I manufacture and fabricate for a living, but if I can buy something that is as good or better than I can make, then I can use my time in other ways. Hope this helps. See you down the road. new member-img_0099.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lo7us For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 16, 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farm dog View Post
    just joined, as l like to make /build stuff. i am currently in the middle of a auxiliary fuel tank.

folded 1.2mm mild steel sheet, with the two ends and baffle in the middle all mig welded. To then plumb via gravity into main tank.(R1200GS)2004..

l'm planning to tap into the flat low side above left cylinder head. All ideas welcome.

I have build many custom motorcycle gas tanks from mild steel. That is my everyday job. And it is possible to weld them with MIG.
    (Although there are better and easier methods.)
    Before using the gas tank, pressure test it in the bucket full with water. To check for leaking in your welds. If air bubbles don't go out from your welds, pour the gas tank sealant in said. After it gets dry you are good to go and ride. Hope this helps.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information