Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Norton Factory.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools

New Norton Factory.

Norton is being revitalised, let's hope this time it sticks. New factory, a rationalised J.I.T. supply chain and still a lot of manual input with a German as C.E.O. but sounds as if he is a motorcyclist and a genuine Norton Man at heart.
    I'm thinking I'll buy an extra Lotto ticket next week.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Altair (Nov 29, 2021), Corm (Nov 23, 2021), freddo4 (Nov 22, 2021), nova_robotics (Nov 22, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Nov 22, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Just a few seconds into video, this came to mind.
    There's English, Irish, Scots, the lot
    United nation's what we've got
    Brickies, chippies, every trade
    German building, British-made

Mark Knopfler, "Why Aye Man"

To bring Norton from paper sketches and sliderule calculations to state of the art production can't help but make an even more incredible machine. The same general idea worked to reincarnate the Mini.......
    I want to pull one through turns at Cook's Corner, Trabuco Canyon, CA. It's not about speed alone, it's holding the line you see and pick; tighter and tighter.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 22, 2021), NortonDommi (Nov 22, 2021), Rikk (Nov 29, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Love the poem! Thanks. Yeah damn shame the last CEO was a career criminal. I have heard that this new iteration of Norton, even though they have zero legal liability, is offering to do a deal with owners of V4 SS models. Still got to shell out another £10,000 though. I think this bodes well as the company has stated that they will be taking a hit financially with this offer but it does demonstrate a real commitment to restoring the full confidence in the Norton brand.

One thing I believe we will see a lot more of is niche market companies and high end catering to a fully customized personal service from he factory. Ducati started this with motorcycles a couple of decades ago with buy direct and followed by a guided tour through the Italian Alps after pick-up at the factory.
    Modern manufacturing method means that with good planning this should be available to more people not just the uber rich.

New developments in battery technology ,(there are more new things than just Tesla's 4680 battery coming out),will certainly mean electric motorcycles could be a much lower cost personal transport especially for inner city use. Maybe not that viable were it gets really, really cold but hey, that's what snowmobiles are for or so I have heard.

AnyhooI have bought my Lotto ticket.

Link to letter from Norton: https://uk.motor1.com/news/518107/no...ects-solution/
    Last edited by NortonDommi; Nov 22, 2021 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Add a link.

Thanks
    I had two Commando 750's in the early 70's. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for a Norton.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I too will always have a special affection for Nortons, When I bought my 1973 850 Commando basket case in 79 it was only a short time into the to the last bolt disassembly rebuild project that I knew I had a true machine in my possession. I rode that thing to work and back nearly every day for two straight years making the 50-mile one way ride in good weather and bad each time I would hope a rice rider would challenge me for a quick who's the fastest I finally got a chance to find out one day when a couple of my boss's friends showed up at the shop on a Kawasaki KZ 1000 and Suzuki 1100 best 2 out of 3 heads up 1/8 mile runs in front of the shop. Afterwords My boss told his friends they might consider burning a higher grade of Saki next time. They tucked their tails and left.
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 23, 2021 at 07:48 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Nov 23, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    being a lot older now my interest have changed a lot, I think I would like to take a V4sv 1200, alter the tuning and drop it in the frame of a bag bike ultra low saddle height longer wheel base full touring fairing and windshield hook a pop up trailer behind it and see if it could be made into a velvet ride

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Frank S's vision not my picture of a motorcycle.
    Much of anything past 2 wheels, engine, proper handle bars/ seat, and a frame, muddy the definition.
    Sit on them, not in them.
    I like them simple; good handling, trim looking, and fast enough for that package.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    So Toolmaker, I take it a FF is not on the horizon then?

Royce Creasey - Feet First

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    If you are going to tow a pop-top a sidecar outfit with two wheel steering and drive would allow your dog/cat to travel in comfort.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    If you are going to tow a pop-top a sidecar outfit with two wheel steering and drive would allow your dog/cat to travel in comfort.
    owned a side hack kit once it was always on the wrong side in the turns.
    Built a few trikes that had the rear 2 wheels and cargo box independent of the front half of the machine. Due to accidental planning the pivot was a few degrees off of horizontal so when the rider and bike half leaned the rear wheels followed an Ackerman turning angle by causing the wheel on the wide side of the turn to slightly lead could really work the corners for a 3 wheeler.

Thread Information