Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Newby

Thanks

Newby

Greetings all, hope this posting finds you all well.

I reside in the West Midlands region of the UK, my main workshop interest is steam locomotives the current project being an 0-6-0 GWR Collett Tender Loco. I also enjoy making various tools and fixtures required for building locomotives. I am self taught in CAD which I use extensivley and have built a CNC mill which is used to good effect.

I suppose that will do for now, I look forward to corresponding with you all.

Regards,
    Pendragon

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,126 Times in 11,429 Posts
    Hi Pendragon - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

That sounds like a very useful skill set. Post some pics of the Loco, we'd love to take a look.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Here are a couple of photographs of work in progress for my GWR 0-6-0 Collett locomotive. Hope you enjoy.Newby-dsc02802-ec.jpgNewby-dsc03217-ec.jpg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pendragon For This Useful Post:

Jon (Apr 9, 2016), Paul Jones (Apr 9, 2016)

Thanks
    Chaps,

I've managed to find some spare time today so up-loaded a few more photos of my Collett :~

Newby-dsc06788.jpgNewby-dsc00029.jpgNewby-dsc00039.jpgNewby-dsc00072.jpgNewby-dsc00082.jpgNewby-dsc02670.jpgNewby-dsc02750.jpgNewby-dsc04848.jpgNewby-dsc06405.jpg

Regards, Pendragon

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pendragon For This Useful Post:

Jon (Apr 10, 2016), Paul Jones (Apr 10, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Pendragon,

Amazing work you are doing for the locomotive. I am looking forward to seeing more information and photos of your work and tools. I have a question about the work you are doing on the milling machine with the locomotive driver wheel. Is that the sand casting mold form you are creating for casting the locomotive drivers?

Thank you very much for the photos and a short glimpse into your shop.

Regards, Paul

Thanks
    Paul,

Thank you for your kind comments. You are indeed correct in assuming the work on the mill is the pattern for the locomotive wheels being machined. The material is a professional pattern making material who's trade name for the moment escapes me, sorry, having a senior moment. I am not a pattern maker by trade but I do gain certain satisfaction from making my own patterns and patterns for a few friends, even more satisfaction is gained by having the castings made locally at a huge price reduction rather than obtaining them via the usual suppliers. From memory the loco wheels as cast weighed 12 llb and cost £25 each to have cast. I also do my own CAD drawings and have some parts usually sheet metal parts, cab roof sides etc, laser cut again at huge cost savings over supplier, supplied items.

I will post some more phots in due course but I think I'd better have a look at the tutorial ! I do have a web site which has some phots of some of my earlier stuff and a previous workshopUntitled Page which you may care to have a look at.

In the meantime,

Regards.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pendragon For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 11, 2016)

Thread Information