Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Off-road wheelchair - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,247 Times in 9,724 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 30, 2020), baja (Jun 30, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Jun 30, 2020), Philip Davies (Jul 5, 2020), Tooler2 (Jul 9, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Nice machine, but, I sure don't like the idea of having feet and legs extended in front with no protection from impact or side-swiping.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgeteer For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jul 5, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
    Nice machine, but, I sure don't like the idea of having feet and legs extended in front with no protection from impact or side-swiping.
    I have often thought of just such a design, getting on and off easily trumps any extra danger. Some jobs on the farm require hundreds of climb off / climb on cycles per day.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooler2 View Post
    I have often thought of just such a design, getting on and off easily trumps any extra danger. Some jobs on the farm require hundreds of climb off / climb on cycles per day.
    So, what farm jobs that a paraplegic might perform require hundreds of on/off cycles per day. Just curious.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
    So, what farm jobs that a paraplegic might perform require hundreds of on/off cycles per day. Just curious.
    I am not paraplegic but climbing on to a tractor gets harder as the years go by. Things like stone picking and moving electric fences require frequent on offs. Even feeding cattle means off to open gate, on to drive through, off to close gate on to drop bale off to remove strings on to go back to gate, off to open it on to drive through off to close it, on to drive back to house. When it is dry I use a 3 wheel cushman electric factory cart to do fences, I can pull 40 posts and replant them without leaving my seat then restring the electric rope and reconnect the power, saving a couple of kilometres of walking.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Like tooler2 said you don't have to be para. to appreciate a good agile all terrain vehicle to get around on. the Polaris and John Deere gators have their uses but yo still have to climb in an out of them or on and off of them and many of the larger side by sides are not all that much smaller than a small pickup truck. When I was a young teen some cousins of mine had a pair of Rokon 2 wheel drive bikes with small trailers permanently attached to them. and one that didn't the one without the trailer was used to heard sheep the pair with trailers were used to transport irrigation siphon tubes in summer and in fall to haul fire wood around the family farms everything was considered equipment even my Honda scrambler 90 or my sears Al state 125 By the time my nieces and nephews came along it was the 3 wheelers. Those were great as they stood up by themselves it was only the townie kids who screwed up that market making them seemingly unsafe due to not respecting the vehicles for what they were
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention I use a case garden tractor with trailer for fencing because it is hydraullic drive you don't have to get on it to move it, just move the lever forward a bit and walk along side from one post to the next.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooler2 View Post
    I forgot to mention I use a case garden tractor with trailer for fencing because it is hydraullic drive you don't have to get on it to move it, just move the lever forward a bit and walk along side from one post to the next.
    I'm fixing up an old John Deere 200 garden tractor to use instead of my IngersolRand club car carry all because it is geared way too fast for woods work

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information