Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Official Contest Thread - Vote for your favorite automotive tool!

Thanks

Official Contest Thread - Vote for your favorite automotive tool!

Our first contest went so well last fall that we thought we'd kick off 2014 with a fresh one!

The theme is: Best Automotive Tool

Eligible forum members may nominate entries as replies to this thread. Nominations should include both the name of the tool and its HomemadeTools.net link.

The official rules:

• Forum members with at least five (5) posts or who've been members for at least 30 days may nominate and vote
    • A member may not nominate his own tool, but he may vote for it should it be nominated by someone else

Prize structure:

• 1st = $100 hardware-related gift card (winner's choice of several) + HomemadeTools.net T-shirt
    • 2nd = $50 hardware-related gift card (winner's choice of several) + HomemadeTools.net T-shirt
    • 3rd = HomemadeTools.net T-shirt
    • Bonus = The nominator of the 1st prize winner will also receive a HomemadeTools.net T-shirt

Official Contest Thread - Vote for your favorite automotive tool!-blackshirtfront-actualdesign_zpsd3288f8c.jpg Official Contest Thread - Vote for your favorite automotive tool!-blackshirtrear-actualdesign_zps0576ae37.jpg
    Official Contest Thread - Vote for your favorite automotive tool!-whiteshirtfront-actualdesign_zps14a3da8f.jpg Official Contest Thread - Vote for your favorite automotive tool!-whiteshirtrear-actualdesign_zpsfbd2d65d.jpg

The Contest's nomination phase will last for two weeks, followed by a ten day voting period conducted via forum poll. The three tool entries garnering the most votes will be declared the winners and announced on Monday, February 3.

OK, tool fans: get to it!! Reply directly in this thread with your nominations.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    My tool nomination isn't for one of the many fine ingeniously clever hand tools I could choose from. I decided to nominate a the tool that would hold my body in position working on a lifted truck, or any vehicle with a very deep engine compartment. The Top Side Creeper @ Homemade Top Side Creeper isn't a tool I'd want to store but I sure would appreciate it when I needed it.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    I'd like to nominate TPS testing harnesses, as exemplified by this tool -Homemade TPS Harness. Having grown up jetting carbs and messing with venturis and emulsion tubes, using multimeters and studying voltages was a bit of a leap for me.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts
    I would like to nominate Tom Hoppe's Digital Camber Gauge. Great job upgrading this tool into a more accurate and reliable one. Slapping the ubiquitous level on to a length of cheap steel, this gauge exemplifies the KISS principle.

Thanks
    I'd like to nominate toolman8's Heavy-Duty Rotisserie. A fantastic writeup of an exceptionally well-designed and executed tool.

Ken

Thanks

Catfish's Tools
    I would like to nominate John Kunkel on board.moparts.org for his Oil Filter Cutter, a very useful tool for aircraft also.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    I'd like to nominate this Engine Stand, by John Niolon, aka "The Best Damn Engine Stand Money Can't Buy". Great stand, great writeup, and a solid example of a homemade tool that's far superior to one you can purchase ready-made.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information