Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Offset tongs, from pincers

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Offset tongs, from pincers

Offset tongs, from pincers-f88e9d91-d890-46cc-b395-102c8cfe6437.jpeg
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]43937[/ATTACH
    This is the second time I have posted tongs made from pincers on HMT. These are different in being offset.
    It would not suit many perhaps to make them like this, but suits me very well. I lack the skill to forge tongs like this from bar. I have not had to buy any material and mostly the heat from burning wood is sufficient to do the work. The process is drawn out over many months, so most of the time the components are in boxes here and there, and I get them out usually when when I have the fire going, usually just to keep warm and the welding is done usually when I drag the welder out from under the bench.
    These are the stages
    1. Cut the ends of the pincers’ reins, leaving enough of the thicker stuff near the boss.
    2. Cut the rivet, punch out and NB, tie the jaws together (or there will be mismatches. There are 9 pairs this time, and at least 2 pair were discarded, because of unsatisfactory welding)
    3. Scarf some round bar
    4. Weld the bars to the pincers
    5. Forge the welds to a smooth transition.
    6. Re-weld the scarfs where there are faults
    7. Re-rivet.
    8. Reheat the tongs so that they are no longer asymmetrical.
    9. Forge some “keyholes”, either by flattening some tube, or looping a bit of bar. These will form the tong jaws.
    10 Weld the keyhole to the pincer jaws
    11 Cut through the keyhole and the tongs are complete, apart from a) tidying b) adjusting to the stock to be held

Just to add, if you try this, remember that if quenching the tongs at above cherry, they can crack, since the pincers are from higher carbon steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Offset tongs, from pincers-a7e6e773-b187-4a1a-bb16-1a6c25cdefc6.jpeg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 27, 2022), nova_robotics (Jul 8, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,712 Times in 9,874 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Offset Tongs to our Forging and Casting category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information