Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: oil spillage mat

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    In thinking about setting up my used oil to diesel conversion system I needed a place to store the 650 gallons of used oil that I have, and to have it located as close as possible to the conversion system.
    T accomplish this I decided to add more of the red clay sand behind the Air cargo container then create a spillage mat to prevent minor spills from seeping into the ground.
    After leveling the area with the clay sand I placed a double layer of 6 mil plastic on the ground then added a folded tarp on top of that. The mat is large enough to allow me to fold up all 4 sides then build a containment berm around it. I don't anticipate any major spills but past experience has shown me to plan for the worst and hope for the best. No matter how careful a person is there always seems to be some amount of spillage when dealing with oil.
    Attachment 40573
    Attachment 40574
    Attachment 40575
    Later on I will construct a roof over the barrels but for now a tarp will suffice
    Attachment 40576
    You might like to also use cat litter for spillages. I don't have a cat but found the kitty litter stuff was great for spillages of used oil and diesel fuel/gas and it is way cheaper than the designated product for such purposes. When I was gravedigging in late 90s and early 2000s I mentioned this to the cemetery management which saved them a bomb as spillages were regular while refueling at the storage premises (tractor and excavator). easier than loading and unloading for refuelling at/to Council's depot. Before those times we used to add creosote and sump oil for protecting fence/house posts.
    cheers & stay safe

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    You might like to also use cat litter for spillages. I don't have a cat but found the kitty litter stuff was great for spillages of used oil and diesel fuel/gas and it is way cheaper than the designated product for such purposes. When I was gravedigging in late 90s and early 2000s I mentioned this to the cemetery management which saved them a bomb as spillages were regular while refueling at the storage premises (tractor and excavator). easier than loading and unloading for refuelling at/to Council's depot. Before those times we used to add creosote and sump oil for protecting fence/house posts.
    cheers & stay safe
    I was mostly concerned with preventing any spillage from soaking into the ground. the last thing I need is more weeds prolifically growing from being fertilized by the enzymes in the oil as it breaks down in the sand around here.
    Just after we bought this place a neighbor decided it was a prudent idea to pour used motor oil along one of his fence rows to kill off the vegetation.
    I told him that may have been a bad idea. He got all huffy thinking I was one of them planet Nazis.
    I then told him the problem with using oil to kill the weeds is the weed love the stuff it may kill them off for a few years but once the oil is broken down and absorbed they will return with a vengeance. With so much rain we had this past spring and summer the tumble weeds along that fence are 6 feet tall and as large as a small car . OOPs.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    yeah Frank. The Ph of the soil is of course affected and like with salt or glyphosate the weeds are in effect trying to balance the soil. I used to have a ACDC licence but would advise against use of chemicals, like glyphosate to control weeds, as the Ph was altered and weeds are actually encouraged, as with fertilizer, to grow where even grass will no longer exist. I would use examples of delineater reflector posts on highways: everyone saw that only weeds grew around them due to sprays used so that the reflectors were easily seen at night/day. So, I guess I'm saying we are in agreeance from different angles of perspective.

Cheers

Thanks
    oil spillage mat-205541025_w640_h640_tyapka-polukruglaya-nerzhavejka.jpg
    Фрэнк, сделайте подарок своему соседу.:ржу не могу:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information