I had one of those jobs you put off and once completed you think why didnít I do that years ago. It was a very cheap and simple fix to the quill/power feed disengagement stop locking screw.
The original clamp screw was a ľĒ BSF cap-screw with a bent piece of steel for a handle silver soldered in the cap. When using the clamp-screw it never seemed to lock in a convenient position. I could have machined the end so it would lock in the correct orientation but I decided to replace with a nice looking adjustable locking clamp screw. I didnít want to replace the collar as it had a nice satin finish. This created another issue that I couldnít get a ľĒ BSF adjustable clamp screw. So, I bought an M8 one knowing I could take it apart and machine the M8 thread down to the required size needed. I also fitted a brass slug in the end to prevent damage to the shaft when clamping.
This was a simple fix and makes the operation of the quill stop so much easier to adjust.
New adjustable clamp screw dismantled ready for new thread to be cut.
Machining the M8 thread to 1/4" diameter
Threading the new 1/4" BSF thread with a split die.
Completed clamp reasemmbled Note a brass insert in the end of the thread to prevent damage to shaft when clamping
In place ready to use
Thank you for viewing
The Home Engineer