Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: One tool - two uses

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

One tool - two uses

A recent article in American Machinist reminded me of something I made twenty years ago for a friend. The body of the tool is a through-drilled cylinder with one quarter of its body accurately milled away.

Insert the punch, made from hardened drill rod, into the hole, align the edges of the cutaway portion with your scribe lines and voila (not viola - that's a musical instrument), the punch mark is on the intersection of the lines.

But wait, there's more! (He shouts, madly waving his Ginsu steak knife.) Ever had the problem of having to align to the edge of a piece of stock angled in the milling machine vise? Drop the body of the punch over the edge and use the edge finder to locate on its circumference. Since the diameter of the punch is known (or can be easily measured), it's a simple matter to locate the spindle axis directly over the edge.

The one shown is massive enough to not move under the friction of the edge finder but, if you have problems, apply a dab of oil or grease to hold it in place with the capillary action. (I have a miniature version that requires this action to remain in place.)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 10, 2017 at 04:13 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Aug 7, 2017), C-Bag (Aug 7, 2017), jjr2001 (Jan 1, 2018), Jon (Sep 1, 2015), kbalch (Sep 1, 2015), Okapi (Aug 9, 2017), Paul Jones (Aug 13, 2017), PJs (Sep 2, 2015), rgsparber (Aug 7, 2017), Seedtick (Aug 6, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Mar 14, 2017), trevor_60_r (Dec 12, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanks Marv! I've added your Intersection and Mill Alignment Aid to our Measuring and Marking category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Marv,

The concept seems simple and it should be useful. But do you have any tips on how to machine it with good accuracy? Yes, I know, touch off on one side and go half the diameter. But just how accurate is that going to get you? Two thousandths may be the limit. I would like to have it down to a few tenths.
    Paul A.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Marv,

The concept seems simple and it should be useful. But do you have any tips on how to machine it with good accuracy? Yes, I know, touch off on one side and go half the diameter. But just how accurate is that going to get you? Two thousandths may be the limit. I would like to have it down to a few tenths.
    Surely you jest, Paul. Two tenths accuracy on something you're going to use to make punch marks? If you want that sort of accuracy use your mill/DRO or a jig borer. How do you intend to make layout lines with tenths accuracy?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Feb 25, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Paul you will never in your life work within tenths using a center punch, I don't care who told you they could, no such thing,
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 10, 2017), tonyfoale (Feb 25, 2024)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Marv,

NO, I do not ever expect to work to tenths with punch marks. But, as I am sure you are aware, errors do add up. The final error will be the sum of all the errors of every step along the way. There will be other sources of error in the process: lining up the edges with the scribed lines, the concentricity of the punch, the tolerance between the punch and your guide, etc. Many sources of error. And you need to attack each of them. Lets say that my goal was +/- 0.001" overall. That does seem to be a reasonable goal. I may not actually reach it, but it is a reasonable goal. But then each source of error would need to be less than that. Most of them would need to be significantly less than that 0.001". If each of the errors was +/-0.001", then five of them could add up to as much as 0.005". Or if you use the math for the expected error, you will be around 0.003". That would be a large error in my opinion and, with some care, I am sure I can already do better than that.

To reach a reasonable goal in the overall process, an error in the tenths range at each source of error is going to be necessary.

You seem to have many good ideas. I was just wondering if you had any tricks for machining those two flat surfaces on the center line of the device with a really good tolerance. Well, no that should be the center line of the central hole in the device: the OD does not enter into the equation.

I do not think my reasoning is unreasonable or a jest.

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Surely you jest, Paul. Two tenths accuracy on something you're going to use to make punch marks? If you want that sort of accuracy use your mill/DRO or a jig borer. How do you intend to make layout lines with tenths accuracy?
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; Aug 8, 2017 at 01:44 PM.
    Paul A.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Marv,

You are an inspiration to me!

http://rick.sparber.org/LACOM.pdf

Thanks,

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    To make something as critical as you would like it to be would require gage tolerances to be held because of all the accumulated errors, the easiest way to find the corner of that block would be to use the tool like the one Marv made and edge find from both sides of the tool and split the difference, I made a little drawing.

Cheers

One tool - two uses-finding-corner.jpg
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Okapi (Aug 9, 2017), Paul Jones (Aug 13, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    yes.dro instead of punch marks agreed

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information