Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: That other gearbox jack

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools

That other gearbox jack

It all started here, That other gearbox jack-p1020177.jpg
    My son was driving my(elderly)Nissan MK, now whilst I don't think he caused it, he didn't stop when it started to make bad noises.
    Because I'm now well past my prime, I can no longer lift such things as 4x4 cast iron gearboxes. The Nissan has an SD33 diesel engine which has a particularly large bell housing so the car had to be high off of the concrete to get it under the door sills.All this determines the parameters of the gearbox jack, low closed height, but high enough lift to reach the engine when lifted.
    Nothing on the market seemed to satisfy the need, so, make my own.
    Round up all the offcuts, scrap, old jack etc.cobble the whole lot into something that will do the job.
    Herewith the result. That other gearbox jack-p1020168.jpg That other gearbox jack-p1020172.jpg
    This is how I got round the angle of the table problem, the nuts were only tacked on, and clearly that's not enough, but it worked at the time. That other gearbox jack-p1020170.jpg
    The old jack had to be modified some to do the job this is what I did. That other gearbox jack-p1020173.jpg
    I applaud all the other guys (and girls) who paint things, unfortunately, when I build something it's because I need it NOW, so painting never happens........one day maybe.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

Crusty (Nov 5, 2020), Frank S (Nov 5, 2020), Jon (Nov 5, 2020), thehomeengineer (Dec 2, 2020), trigger (Nov 5, 2020)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I agree. Making something useful and then devoting a bunch of time to making it internet worthy is wasted time to me. I only paint when I know that oiling won't solve the rust problem.

I once had an old VW van and I had a need for a transmission jack to use with it. My best time from when I pulled onto the apron and killed the motor was 19 minutes to have the entire engine and transaxle out using that jack (though it doesn't speak well that I got that good at it) and I sometimes wish I still had that jack. Hang onto yours for sure.

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I agree. Making something useful and then devoting a bunch of time to making it internet worthy is wasted time to me. I only paint when I know that oiling won't solve the rust problem.

I once had an old VW van and I had a need for a transmission jack to use with it. My best time from when I pulled onto the apron and killed the motor was 19 minutes to have the entire engine and transaxle out using that jack (though it doesn't speak well that I got that good at it) and I sometimes wish I still had that jack. Hang onto yours for sure.
    Once it was made, I couldn't believe how much easier it made the job, and caused me to remember how much I'd struggled in the past with things like,..yes VW engines, trying to hold them up with one hand whilst attempting to get at least one bolt in with the other.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Piece of cake with a tranny jack. Back,down,back,down and out.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Glad you posted your jack I like your use of the compact floor jack. it adds another perspective on how someone can built a gear box jack commonly called a transmission jack by many. but they are more than that they can be utilized as was stated as an engine jack or I've even used my large one to raise the entire front and then the rear of my 1 ton truck off the ground high enough to place tall jack stands under it. Mine is that strong, however at over 200 lbs it is a bit unwieldy and cumbersome to move around at times
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Glad you posted your jack I like your use of the compact floor jack. it adds another perspective on how someone can built a gear box jack commonly called a transmission jack by many. but they are more than that they can be utilized as was stated as an engine jack or I've even used my large one to raise the entire front and then the rear of my 1 ton truck off the ground high enough to place tall jack stands under it. Mine is that strong, however at over 200 lbs it is a bit unwieldy and cumbersome to move around at times
    Thanks for those kind words Frank.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks old kodger! We've added your Gearbox Jack to our Jacks and Lifts category,
    as well as to your builder page: old kodger's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information