Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Pallet disassembly machine - GIF

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (May 25, 2021), clydeman (May 24, 2021), NortonDommi (May 25, 2021), Philip Davies (May 30, 2021), rlm98253 (May 24, 2021)

Thanks
    Somewhere an OSHA rep just crapped himself.

You couldn't pay me enough to get anywhere near a bandsaw cutting anything with nails in it.

With that much free blade whirling around it could reach way out to take off a body part long before you even realized there was a problem.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    There is No way that this has Passed OSHA

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toymvr View Post
    There is No way that this has Passed OSHA
    Interesting; a search suggests that this is a Woodmizer PD200 pallet-hawg. Says they’re made in USA and start around $11,000.

Here’s a pic of the blade drive:

Pallet disassembly machine - GIF-ed48989c-8107-415d-9b4a-2a751a10e9e9.jpeg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bob47907 For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (May 25, 2021)

Thanks
    Yikes.

And now you have a bunch of lumber with pieces of nails in it.

Thanks

Do You Love Your Hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Unkle Fuzzy View Post
    Somewhere an OSHA rep just crapped himself.

You couldn't pay me enough to get anywhere near a bandsaw cutting anything with nails in it.

With that much free blade whirling around it could reach way out to take off a body part long before you even realized there was a problem.
    Why don't they use a Prodding Rod or Something Keeping your Hands Wrists & Arms Well Away,Imagine someone who's gotPersonal Issues ie a broken heart or hungover etc One ay the Whizzing Blae will get Tired and Snap Can't believe this a Western Country Yeah Ok Pieces of Lumber with Nails that you can't see just waiting to Bugger up your machine Grow a Brain,Mate!

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    When I used to shave I found that a straight razor was the best way to straighten up after a hard weekend.
    Talking dangerous butchery is extremely risky when bandsawing as you are close to the blade on an irregular shaped flaccid object with hard bits in it.
    All OHSA approved.
    Last edited by NortonDommi; May 25, 2021 at 05:26 AM.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    OSHA doesn't approve machinery, they give guidelines for safety, it's up to the manufacturer and the end user to assure safe equipment and safety when working with equipment. Proper guarding on this machine would be the "tube" the blade runs through on the top and the "reach" from the operator position - edge of table to the blade, every inch reduces the risk of a cut injury. Two man operation to eliminate the need for reaching near the blade is one of the measures also. Procedure and oversight for following the procedure assure safety. Many of the higher speed band saw type cutters have blade brakes so if the blade does go, it doesn't shoot out of the cut area. My biggest problem with this one is that they're creating cellulose and metal dust with no dust masks. They're probably just tired of wearing them when they're not at work!

Our pallet supplier is now paying us $2 -$3 for UNUSABLE, broken junk pallets to reuse the slats and runners because of the lumber shortage! We used to set them out at the road and they would just "disappear" in a few days. Now they're a commodity!

Thanks
    As a 30 year employee at an OSHA Sharp certified facility I know very well what OSHA will take issue with.

The blade is within reach and the operators are placing their hands very close to it while in operation.

I don't see an way that machine would pass muster without some sort of mechanical feed to push the pallets through.

I'll guarantee the company in the video has never had their insurer drop by for a visit, and I'll bet the manufacturers lawyers have no idea of it's existence.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mcthistle007 View Post

Why don't they use a Prodding Rod or Something
    The infeed guy does, the outfeed guy should.

Imagine someone who's got Personal Issues ie broken heart or hungover etc
    There is nothing that would pull them into the blade; They'd have to force themselves into the blade and keep pushing all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Unkle Fuzzy View Post
    As a 30 year employee at an OSHA Sharp certified facility I know very well what OSHA will take issue with.

The blade is within reach and the operators are placing their hands very close to it while in operation.
    I feel like having something pulling material into the blade would be more dangerous than the way this is designed. The only thing that looks off about this is the exit feed guy reaching to the blade to grab the little chunks of 4x4. He should have used a stick for that, and the designer could have intrinsically required that if the outfeed table was about a foot longer.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth Greene For This Useful Post:

thevillageinn (May 29, 2021)

Thread Information