Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Panzer tank hull being quenched

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    A cutaway of a Lamborghini was displayed at the Brisbane car show in early 70's. It showed, unintentionally, how the then European treatment of metal in cars was not up to our climate: surface rust everywhere. But it was still impressive all the same. That tank is impressive.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I like bandsaws plenty, but over-the-top is just crazy. This I'm certain is a wood cutting blade judging by tooth form, and 3 pitch. 3 per foot, not 3 per inch! Most astounding is the width. Used to be a comparably large saw on display, in lumber yard parking lot; 1980's Huntington Beach, CA., on Bolsa Chica south of 405 Fwy. That blade was about 3" wide, maybe 1/8" thick. I notice back side has abbreviated teeth too. Maybe this is for re-sawing of timber, back teeth to reduce binding, possibly more kerf as well.
    And what's going on with one in upper left of picture? Pretty inconvenient storage?
    It doesn't have the teeth on opposite side. Is the handler feeding the blade through to cut the back teeth? good gloves.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    There was a bandsaw mill near my hometown in MO. I saw their saw sharpening shop. The blade looked a lot like this one, but no teeth on the back side, but it was probaly 3-4 times the length . The blades were mounted horizontally on rollers for sharpening we were cautioned they were scalpel sharp and they were. This mill sawed amlost anything cut locally but most all of it was sawn 3/4 inch thick for pallet construction, and most of it was pine.

My guess on the teeth on the back of the blade would be to clean out the sawdust and keep the kerf open.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Guys. I found this site explaining the blade and timber mill operator in Oregon.
    https://www.core77.com/posts/52945/H...-Bandsaw-Blade

....now I wonder if you can fold that monster! Cheers
    Jim

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

12bolts (Nov 4, 2018), Frank S (Nov 3, 2018), Jon (Nov 5, 2018), ranald (Nov 4, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 4, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I have enough trouble folding a saw blade for a 14". LOL Jim. Imagine the twang if it broke.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Ranald, I'm with you! Took me years to learn...Our General Manager (and general mentor...) at the family timber yard was an old pro. He'd chuckle and tell me, 'I'm just gonna show ya ONE more time...' and then proceed to virtually throw the thing ( 196" blade on 32" Crescent) down on the ground and it would flop into 3 rings just like that.....

Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    Guys. I found this site explaining the blade and timber mill operator in Oregon.

Jim
    Salute for Berserkleyboy! aka Sherlock Holmes. Great sleuth-work on link to Hull-Oakes. Some unknown video here on HMT, drew up Hull-Oakes in the queue of suggested watching when the first completed. I never made the connection.

As folding goes, I don't think a fifty-foot blade qualifies. They'd need a machine or eleventythree guys just to twist the figure 8; close to another team in a cheer squad pyramid to flip the arc down flat. And a pallet of good gloves, lol.

No recruits to unfold have come forward...really good off-shore marketing opportunity. I'd target any number of over populated under-employed areas. Or maybe a trade school pitch; "YOU can join the elite and highly paid world of bandsaw unfolders, no experience needed!"

Then boneheaded employment recruiters would be hounding me again, just because 'bandsaw' appears in my resume. Just weeks back got a succession of contacts on mention of 'precision assembly of micro-mechanical and electronic components' which they mindlessly interpreted mere 'assembly' as equivalent. I put all four on the ropes, figuratively, demanding "who collected my authorization in truncating carefully detailed resume statements?". And "I'd not even cross a street for $13.00 an hour offered." "45+ industrial years for $2 bucks less than next proposed minimum wage?"
    I'm sure, one pair of ears continue to ring.
    Morons!
    They must work on commission or volume of contacts made. Like the new auto dealer working [unsuccessfully] on my Dad, in a 2017 V8 Camaro. What a picture; barely 5'1'' and 98 years old with blocks tied on brake and gas pedals. Though I will say, it was a gorgeous emerald green.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 4, 2018)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Mate, it weren't that hard...actually! I just google image searched 'big bandsaw blades' and voila! But, hey, thanks for the kind thoughts.
    Jim

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 4, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post

Jim
    It would'nt download last time I looked, so, thanks Jim & hope my techno probs have gone! It looks like heaps of sparks from back angle, but from the front, it looks like just a "lick" & just as well due to replacement costs regardless of cost/benefit ratio. Funny though, size doesn't always relate directly to cost. I have a 14" carbatec generic saw where the finer/smaller (of same type of) blade is dearer per width than slightly wider ones: Quite different to my 14" laguna saw. Maybe the generic mid range ones are done in bulk according to demand: they are definately not as well packaged (who wants to receive a kinked blade in the mail).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 4, 2018)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Thanks , mate!

Thread Information