Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Parking brake fail at a boat ramp - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,687 Times in 9,863 Posts

Parking brake fail at a boat ramp - GIF

Parking brake fail at a boat ramp.

Previously:

Launching a littoral combat ship - GIF
    Perfect boat beaching - GIF
    Boat that pulls itself ashore

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 17, 2020), EnginePaul (Jan 16, 2020), Rangi (Jan 17, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Jan 18, 2020)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Once again, what's more valuable, your car or your life. At least he had his lifejacket on...

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    When launching a boat alone the time to do a check of your boat is before you enter a launch ramp remove your cover, check for the plug make sure the prop is raised all gear is on board, remove the tie downs attach a line to the bow with the coils on the boat attach the free end to the trailer, disconnect the winch then back down the ramp once the boat just begins to float, stop and allow its momentum to pull it from the trailer take the line from the trailer and walk it over to a securement then move the vehicle to a parking space. when I had my boat and launched from public ramps I never knew how far they extended into the water some were quite short if lake levels were way down so I tried to keep my trailer tires visible. Once a friend backed his off a ramp and the ramp ended just a few feet in his trailer nearly pulled is truck in when it rolled off the drop off had to use his boat and a pair of come a longs to lift the trailer up out of the water far enough so he could drive out
    The old saying goes a boat is nothing more than a hole in the water you pour money in
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 17, 2020), IAMSatisfied (Jan 16, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Jan 18, 2020)

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    Boat ramps often have a thin layer of super-slick algae on them that extends well above the water line... the more use one gets, the wetter it remains, thus creating the perfect environment for the algae colony to extend up the ramp precisely where the tow vehicles wheels run. I've seen really nice 4wd pickups with excellent tires and firm parking brakes skate right on into the drink just like being on wet ice. It's always prudent to get out and walk the ramp before hand instead of blindly offering up your expensive vehicle on the boat ramp altar. It sure wouldn't hurt to carry some sharp sand to dust the boat ramp as a precaution... an anchor point with a bumper mounted winch would be extra insurance.

In the above video, it appears that as soon as the man's foot hits the ramp, it shoots out from under him like it was greased... and yes, his form was less than perfect coming off the boat.
    Last edited by IAMSatisfied; Jan 16, 2020 at 06:11 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IAMSatisfied For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Jan 18, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMSatisfied View Post
    Boat ramps often have a thin layer of super-slick algae on them that extends well above the water line... the more use one gets, the wetter it remains, thus creating the perfect environment for the algae colony to extend up the ramp precisely where the tow vehicles wheels run. I've seen really nice 4wd pickups with excellent tires and firm parking brakes skate right on into the drink just like being on wet ice. It's always prudent to get out and walk the ramp before hand instead of blindly offering up your expensive vehicle on the boat ramp altar. It sure wouldn't hurt to carry some sharp sand to dust the boat ramp as a precaution... an anchor point with a bumper mounted winch would be extra insurance.

In the above video, it appears that as soon as the man's foot hits the ramp, it shoots out from under him like it was greased... and yes, his form was less than perfect coming off the boat.
    Probably why I don't like boiled okra the color slime and smell reminds me of the algae
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I was working on a survey job when an absolute gotcha took place. The party chief had told a young surveyor to go up to the bridge and throw a cup of water out of the bridge side window. After several trips up to the bridge the officer of the watch started to become aware of the young surveyors behaviour and asked him what he was doing. To which he replied im not supposed to tell anyone, obviously he got challenged again to which the young lad replied shhh we are digging a tunnel.

So even if you are having a really pooh day at sea you can always have a laugh. On the very few absolutely fantastic trips i had at sea this for obvious reasons was one of the best. The party chief was an absolute mad man, i went home after the trip hurting with laughter.

Why did he jump off the fromt of the boat nearly killing himself in the process, if he jumped off the side he would have timed it right to jump into the car door opening. Idiot.

Oh the language police have redacted my comment again. Pooh, punja, excrement, merde

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Jan 17, 2020 at 02:06 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Jan 18, 2020)

Thread Information