Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Pendulum amusement ride collapse - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

Pendulum amusement ride collapse - GIF

Pendulum amusement ride collapse.

Previously:

human powered ferris wheel
    Ai Pioppi - human-powered amusement park
    Flying roller coaster seat rotation mechanism - GIF
    Euthanasia coaster - photos

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 23, 2019), dubbby (Apr 1, 2020), EnginePaul (Aug 10, 2019), MeJasonT (Jul 25, 2019), Miloslav (Jul 22, 2019), Seedtick (Jul 22, 2019)

Thanks
    Wow I wonder where this was and what the death/injury toll was? "I told you duct tape wouldn't hold that!!"

2000 Tool Plans

JTG
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Kankaria Amusement Park, in India. Two dead, 26 injured, out of 31 riders.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JTG For This Useful Post:

Unisawyer (Jul 23, 2019)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    It's fortunate that it wasn't rotating at the time.
    I'm assuming it rotates since all the two I've been on do, but they are both Huss Giant Frisbees. This ride looks like a different maker, though, so maybe it's a static ring.

Neil

JTG
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I haven't been able to track down who made this particular ride, though it looks to be a knock-off of Zamperla's Discovery pendulum, only with a giant counterweight and toothpick for a main shaft.

I've ridden quite a number of these (edit: 14 installations) from different manufacturers (edit: Huss, Zamperla, Chance Rides, and Moser's Rides), and none of them are built like this one, for good reason.
    Last edited by JTG; Jul 23, 2019 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I don't trust dodgy engineering that's why you will never see me get on one of these death traps. Its like playing chicken with the gap between hinges and a door. There is any amount of variables which end in pain and suffering - after all that is the point of providing a thrill. I don't known why some high risk entertainment is fun when it goes horribly wrong and yet some is unfunny and of no entertainment at all. Formula 1 £6 million car crashes its spectacular, bungee rope snaps not funny. Both extreme sports. Incidentally my niece lost a finger end in a door jam.

I'm not a big fan of India/Pakistan railroads either, or American wooden railroad bridges.
    I watched a program on the infrastructure in New York, it was scary the condition and serviceability of the concrete road and metal bridges in the state.
    It hit home one day when i walked under a rail bridge in the city and watched a steel pad moving which was apparently welded at some point.

The bridges are part of the infrastructure and supported by public spending and management, A travelling showground will not have the extent of commercial services to support their owner ran fun attraction. An aircraft is grounded for maintenance every 400hrs and after several services receives a total overhaul. Fairground rides ?. Legislation is now starting to be imposed in the UK on Bouncy Castle owners after two have broken free and been blown away with children trapped inside, this has resulted in the death of one young girl.
    Our safety saying offshore was never put your finger anywhere you wouldn't put your todger. As the structure gets larger you have to consider not putting your body in their either. Reservoirs are very safe places to swim until they open the flood gates, Strapping yourself to a hurling piece of metal may look fun at the time but it will bite you in the bum one day.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Jul 25, 2019 at 07:58 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    You are one sick puppy Jon. lol.
    when are you going to change the site name to Jon's web finds. I'm convinced you spend hours trawling the tinterweb for bizarre stuff.
    I don't know why but it works, It always starts a good discussion.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    I don't trust dodgy engineering.....
    You must struggle to get out of bed in the morning.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information