Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Perfect controlled demolition of twin chimneys - video

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I saw this chimney take down about 2 years ago on another site. All I can say this guy is lucky to be alive, there is a much saver way to take down a chimney

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A friend of mine has a PC200 with that exact same cab. his machine fell through a slab into a basement that no one knew was there. His cab hung on the edge of a wall and the floor almost as much damage as the one in the picture except the impact was on the front corner broke all of the glass out and destroyed the door He never bothered having the cab repaired just uses it without glass and removed the door.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    looks like the boom may have helped but a seriously good design rops frame in the cab. very lucky fella.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    We may never see a demolition as beautiful as those twin chimneys, but that doesn't mean we can't spend the rest of our days looking. I didn't realize silos can demo this cleanly:

Different silo, but a similar collapse pattern. Unusual detonation method, and this one is appropriately doodled:

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 12, 2018), PJs (Oct 14, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 11, 2018), thevillageinn (Oct 14, 2018), Zaakoc (Oct 13, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Why are there so many videos of silo demolitions? Do silos wear out or become infected or something? The amount of land they occupy on farms of considerable acreage seems minimal. They must be moderately expensive to construct so, even if unused, why destroy it? Won't they be value added when the farm is sold?
    Last edited by mklotz; Oct 11, 2018 at 01:40 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The farmers and grain storage people use metal silos easier to maintain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Marv, you may note that almost all of them are either block construction or galvanized corrugated sheet metal that are being destroyed with a few exceptions of the random reinforced concrete silos.
    the mortar used it the block silos deteriorates or the ground they are sitting on sometimes settles causing them to develop cracks once this happens they are more of a liability than an asset. the ones made out of sheet metal naturally rust out over time creating a liability.
    The well constructed poured reinforced concrete silos are probably only demolished should they develop very large cracks or simply the farm owner decides he is tired of looking at it. or tired or having to have it included on his insurance policy. but mostly if it is not being used he still has to pay property taxes on having the thing.
    in some states or counties that can really ad up over time especially in states or counties that add an overall height tax to the structures on a property. This is why taxes are at a higher rate for 2 or 3 story homes of the same square footage of roof than single story units of the same size, In those areas the tall slender silo can near equal the amount of tax owed as their barn due to its height.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 12, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Oct 14, 2018), PJs (Oct 14, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 11, 2018), volodar (Oct 11, 2018)

Thanks
    somehow I dont see me being able to do that....well not that nicely.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    A farmer in Michigan has no restrictions on what he builds no permits are required but has to pay taxes, that may also be true in the rest of our country

Thanks
    Here in central ny I have heard 2nd hand that insurance companys will no longer cover silos. On the large, 1000 head and bigger farms bunkering silage is most common. The volume of silage is just totaly impractal to put in silos. Also just backing up and dumping a load and "stacking" it with an articulated tractor with a degelman blade is likely much faster. Often farmers sell their block silos to the amish who put them back up with a smaller diameter so several families get a small silo out of one larger one.
    Eric

Thread Information