Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Handle Screwdriver

Thanks

Jaden's Tools

Perfect Handle Screwdriver

Have any of you made a screwdriver and machined it then put on a custom handle? Wondering if I'm better off working from a mold then machining the final thickness and then tempering it in a kiln. Also what do you guys think of using curly figured poplar for tool handles?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Perfect Handle Screwdriver-driver2puck2.jpg   Perfect Handle Screwdriver-drill-handles.jpg   Perfect Handle Screwdriver-curly-poplar.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:

high-side (Aug 22, 2019), Jon (Feb 17, 2015), kbalch (Feb 16, 2015), Paul Jones (Jan 19, 2016), PJs (Jan 19, 2016), rlm98253 (Dec 10, 2017), RustyWrench (Feb 17, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,238 Times in 9,717 Posts
    Wood looks great! Nice take on the drill handle.

Al

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Yeah, that drill does look unique. As far as screwdrivers go, I just look for ones that are comfortable for my grip. Don't have any skills for turning out wood handles, as a lot of guys here do.

Thanks

Use the right wood for handles

Quote Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
    Have any of you made a screwdriver and machined it then put on a custom handle? Wondering if I'm better off working from a mold then machining the final thickness and then tempering it in a kiln. Also what do you guys think of using curly figured poplar for tool handles?
    Jaden, A boat builder friend and mentor told me that Cherry is the best wood for tool handles: sanded smooth, raw ( dry but unvarnished ) Cherry will always be comfortable in hand and your palms won't sweat! I am a professional woodcarver and I replace any ash handled tools with cherry when they split or get loose. When working in warm weather you will always have a firm grip on a Cherry handled tool.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tony Hillman For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Feb 17, 2015), high-side (Aug 22, 2019), Jon (Feb 17, 2015), PJs (May 23, 2016), rlm98253 (Dec 10, 2017), Toolmaker51 (May 22, 2016)

Thanks

Perfect Handle

Hi Jaden: This is my 1st post to any forum, of any kind, anywhere. If I step on toes, please let me know. Sure don't want to offend anyone nor break a rule. I'm an antique machinist; antique clockmaker; small time collector of old hand tools and a wannabe blacksmith. Concerning the two screwdrivers pictured, the one with the hex shape, below the wood is, an H.d. Smith Perfect Handle. The other one probably is not unless it says so somewhere on the tool. Many companies made tools with handles similar to HDS but the genuine Perfect Handled tools are quite unique when closely compared. HDS made a wide variety of tools. Wrenches such as "Monkey Wrench" style, "S" shape, Open end with wood handle, and others; also multiple/sizes types of screw drivers; hammers, hatchets, auto tire tools and valve tools -- you get the picture. I suspect that HDS tool handles were made of Hickory - can't prove that. To accurately replace one it would be best to use same wood and not replace at all unless the wood is really bad. The stripped Poplar is quite pretty and would make a good looking handle for any tool you made from scratch. I don't know of any tool manufacturer that used Poplar. I really liked the post from Tony Hillman about Cherry. Good useful info.
    Last edited by RustyWrench; Feb 17, 2015 at 07:28 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RustyWrench For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Feb 19, 2015), Jaden (Feb 20, 2015), Jon (Feb 17, 2015), PJs (May 23, 2016), Toolmaker51 (May 22, 2016)

Thanks

Jaden's Tools
    Oh great, I didn't know that, I'll keep an eye out for figured cherry!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Great inputs, Tony and RustyWrench. Learned something new today!

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Yes, same for me,
    thanks to both of you, and long forum life to you RustyWrench, your experience seems to be huge, that's a great pleasure reading you !
    Keep posting !
    (sure as a clock maker you should have interesting enough tools to show us )
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    I must admit I didn't look carefully enough the couple of screwdrivers above, and effectively, the handles are really unique.
    Have you an idea of how the metal part was made ? blacksmithed + ground ? or casting ?
    The fit of the wood on the metal is very neat, difficult to find that on production tools today.
    Inspiring ...
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Thanks
    A caveat about using Cherry wood for handles: it can be brittle when dry. Not a problem for carving tools that are pushed by hand. If you start whacking at a Cherry handle with a club or mallet: must have the leather or metal end caps/rings to take up the shock. I use the softer plastic (or whatever that hard rubbery material is) bound carving club, easier on the tools and your tendons.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Hillman For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Feb 20, 2015), PJs (May 23, 2016)

Thread Information