Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pilot with zero experience tries to fly helicopter - GIF

Thanks
    No he had zero hours in a rotary whinged aircraft! The condition of the aircraft had nothing to do with the crash.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I can attest to how it feels flying the first hour at the controls of a rotary winged aircraft even though my instructor was sitting right beside me, and we had flown many hours together already. For my first take off I bet every muscle in my body was tight as a banjo string, If it hadn't been for him constantly telling my 19 year old self to relax and make gentle movements we might have wound up like that guy did. The encyclopedia Galactica has 2 words written on the cover. probably the most useful words ever written " Don't Panic" One thing that is the same in a rotary wing and a fixed wing aircraft is they both will gladly kill you if you mess up, and the best way to avoid messing up is to follow every instruction your instructor give you. If he tell you that you can't fly today because the moon is in the wrong phase or the sun is shining in the wrong place or even if his daughter's pet purple cockroach died. Take him at his word. You may go on to be a flight instructor one day and have a reason you don't want your student to fly that day. I often wonder what I would be doing today if I had continued my flying instructions long enough to receive a rotary rating

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Very true. Novices almost always overcontrol aircraft, even R/C aircraft. Smooth steady movements are key to maintaining control. Once you loose control it's over. Being an experienced fixed wing pilot only helps a little. Having gyro assist helps a lot (not likely in that thing). Rotary wing is also much harder because of ground effect and the number of axis you have to deal with. It's also less forgiving as can be seen. I doubt this was caused by equipment failure.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information