Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Plastic welder from soldering iron - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,809 Times in 9,916 Posts

Plastic welder from soldering iron - GIF

Plastic welder from soldering iron.

Previously:

Hot stapler - GIF
    Welding vinyl flooring - GIF
    Liquid plastic welder Kickstarter - GIF
    Polycarbonate plastic welder - GIF
    Hot stapler - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 6, 2022), ChasT (Mar 1, 2022), cogentia (Mar 7, 2022), Little Rabbit (Mar 6, 2022), mccwho (Mar 1, 2022), Moby Duck (Mar 1, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Feb 28, 2022), nova_robotics (Feb 28, 2022), rlm98253 (Mar 5, 2022), thehomeengineer (Mar 1, 2022), Tule (Mar 1, 2022), wolfpaak (Mar 1, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I used to do something similar (20 years ago) when we'd smash up our ATVs and dirt bikes. Hold the plastics together, and melt a trench along the crack between the two pieces. Then use the side of the soldering iron to push the plastic you just melted back into the trench. No rings or metal reinforcements. It works really well.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I used to do something similar (20 years ago) when we'd smash up our ATVs and dirt bikes. Hold the plastics together, and melt a trench along the crack between the two pieces. Then use the side of the soldering iron to push the plastic you just melted back into the trench. No rings or metal reinforcements. It works really well.
    Yep! I've always kept a separate soldering iron just for welding and repairing plastic. I always make a variety of different shaped tips to fit in the end for different jobs. But, like you said, the trench and refill method is my favorite and works really well.

One mistake people often make is using a different type of plastic to fill in the damaged area. One age old myth is that plastic zip ties can be used as sort of a rod filler for all plastic welding. Zip ties are not compatible with all other types of plastic. If you use them like is shown in some popular YouTube videos, they will just peel right back off after they cool down and harden back up.

You have to use the same type of plastic at all times. With that said, HDPE is the easiest of all plastics to work with.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mlochala For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 6, 2022), ChasT (Mar 1, 2022), nova_robotics (Mar 5, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    We used to repair the bottom of our skis after spring skiing the snow melts and rocks begin to sprout up out of it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    We used to repair the bottom of our skis after spring skiing the snow melts and rocks begin to sprout up out of it.
    That was p-tex, still in use, nasty stuff to drip on your skin...that much I remember.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information