Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Polyurethane plant fire - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

Polyurethane plant fire - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Feb 5, 2022), NortonDommi (Feb 6, 2022), nova_robotics (Feb 5, 2022), Rangi (Feb 6, 2022), Slim-123 (Feb 5, 2022), that_other_guy (Feb 5, 2022), Tule (Feb 6, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    When chemical plants catch fire it often loos as if the whole world is on fire the noxious gasses from the smoke can be just as deadly as the fire itself

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    When chemical plants catch fire it often loos as if the whole world is on fire the noxious gasses from the smoke can be just as deadly as the fire itself
    Absolutely correct! In the case of polyurethanes the two biggies are carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide. The first one you'd expect, but the second one is no breath of fresh air, either!!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Gonna take more than a covid mask

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    Gonna take more than a covid mask
    Huh?
    https://www.honeywell.com/us/en/news...asks-explained
    https://www.efisales.com/micron-size-of-viruses.html

: )

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    ""A mask rated 95 will stop 95 percent of airborne particles that are 0.3 microns in size and larger, while a mask rated 100 will filter out 99.97 percent of particles 0.3 microns and larger, making it comparable to a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter. (The average human hair is 70 micrometers in diameter.)

Activated carbon vs. chemical agents

Paper-filter masks, however, are useless against most chemicals, whether paint fumes, sarin gas or airborne organophosphates. Those threats require a mask with activated carbon, also known as activated charcoal.

Charcoal bonds with the active ingredients in nerve gas and other chemical threats, effectively filtering those toxic compounds out of the air inhaled by the mask's wearer. As long as there's space on the charcoal filter's fibers for incoming toxins, the wearer is safe.

But after a period of time — depending on the density of toxic chemicals in the air, the wearer's rate of breathing and other factors — an activated charcoal filter will stop working and will need to be replaced. Most activated charcoal masks have disposable filters that are easily replaced. [End of the World? Top Doomsday Fears]

There are other limits to the effectiveness of these masks: They don't always provide eye protection, and any mask is only as good as the seal around the wearer's face — a leak or a weak seal would render them useless.

That's why many professionals, including hazmat teams and emergency first-responders, wear full-face masks that are connected to an air supply, such as a small air canister or a scuba-style air tank.""
    https://www.livescience.com/39217-ho...asks-work.html
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Having worked in confined spaces including welding wearing waist-pack air filters & a positive pressure mask or full face air-line fed masks ALL gummit postulations about masks are a joke. Near 3/4 of a decade working as a night shift theater orderly, usually sole charge, I can also say that surgeons change their masks every 10-15 minutes and take regular breaks for breathing exercises as well. Hell I notice breathing difficulty after 10 minutes wearing a face shield and that is just a piece of plastic close to the face.
    Now traffic accidents have risen sharply as have many other 'accidents', I wonder how many people are affected by CO2 buildup? Be some nasty stuff coming off that fire for sure.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Having been a B.A. user I much preferred to use one in positive pressure mode when around toxics, demand mode lasts longer but face fit and seal are critical and it doesn't take much of an inward leak to kill you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    ""A mask rated 95 will stop 95 percent of airborne particles that are 0.3 microns in size and larger, while a mask rated 100 will filter out 99.97 percent of particles 0.3 microns and larger, making it comparable to a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter. (The average human hair is 70 micrometers in diameter.)

Activated carbon vs. chemical agents

Paper-filter masks, however, are useless against most chemicals, whether paint fumes, sarin gas or airborne organophosphates. Those threats require a mask with activated carbon, also known as activated charcoal.

Charcoal bonds with the active ingredients in nerve gas and other chemical threats, effectively filtering those toxic compounds out of the air inhaled by the mask's wearer. As long as there's space on the charcoal filter's fibers for incoming toxins, the wearer is safe.

But after a period of time — depending on the density of toxic chemicals in the air, the wearer's rate of breathing and other factors — an activated charcoal filter will stop working and will need to be replaced. Most activated charcoal masks have disposable filters that are easily replaced. [End of the World? Top Doomsday Fears]

There are other limits to the effectiveness of these masks: They don't always provide eye protection, and any mask is only as good as the seal around the wearer's face — a leak or a weak seal would render them useless.

That's why many professionals, including hazmat teams and emergency first-responders, wear full-face masks that are connected to an air supply, such as a small air canister or a scuba-style air tank.""
    https://www.livescience.com/39217-ho...asks-work.html
    Exactly, you're spot on correct!

I laughed so hard when they said we should wear cloth mask and before that (and again now) the N95/N100 mask I'm still laughing at them!
    IF any of those masks were effective against an airborne virus than that is what they would wear in a L4 lab. Guess what, they wear something completely different in a L4 lab that is dealing with airborne viruses . I still remember my medical training from 68W & 18D courses in the Army. N905/N100 mask are meant to prevent infections from bacteria and to protect patients. The Army uses NBC suits when dealing with viruses. HAving said that its always good measure to have a current NBC rates mask filter around.

Most viruses vary in diameter from 20 nanometres (nm; 0.0000008 inch) to 250–400 nm; the largest, however, measure about 500 nm in diameter and are about 700–1,000 nm in length.

1 nanometer = 0.001 micrometer (micron)
    Wearing a N95/N100 and thinking your going to stop a virus is like trying to catch a needle with a net that has holes in it the size of a football stadium. (Not literally but you get the idea).

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mccwho; Feb 8, 2022 at 03:28 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mccwho For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Feb 8, 2022)

Thread Information