Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Portable water bike - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,800 Times in 9,911 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Aug 31, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I guess if all you are wanting to do is combine a little cardio with your swimming then this might be ok. the motion to peddle the propeller creates a lot of disruption in the water requiring you to expend an excessive amount of energy to propel yourself through the water. If you are wanting to actually go somewhere while conserving energy, then get yourself a pair of US Divers Jet or Rocket fins and learn to use your ankles with a slight scissoring action with your legs.
    Portable water bike - GIF-s-l400-2-.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I guess if all you are wanting to do is combine a little cardio with your swimming then this might be ok. the motion to peddle the propeller creates a lot of disruption in the water requiring you to expend an excessive amount of energy to propel yourself through the water. If you are wanting to actually go somewhere while conserving energy, then get yourself a pair of US Divers Jet or Rocket fins and learn to use your ankles with a slight scissoring action with your legs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l400 (2).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	43560
    Those were the fins to have back in the day, still have a pair in my old dive bag. Probably just rubber mush by now.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by lest21 View Post
    Those were the fins to have back in the day, still have a pair in my old dive bag. Probably just rubber mush by now.
    we were loading up to take the work boat out to a rig for a routine, "NEVER IS", underwater structure inspection, when this new kid shows up and asks for help with his gear. we left him on shore.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mccwho (Aug 31, 2022)

Thanks
    Interesting that a post named, "Portable Water Bike" just shows flashes of swimmers surging through the water but virtually no views of the "Portable Water Bike" they are featuring. One flash actually just shows the swimmer in yellow close up with the feet out of view until the final millisecond when the device would have come into view but the segment terminates.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by awright View Post
    Interesting that a post named, "Portable Water Bike" just shows flashes of swimmers surging through the water but virtually no views of the "Portable Water Bike" they are featuring. One flash actually just shows the swimmer in yellow close up with the feet out of view until the final millisecond when the device would have come into view but the segment terminates.
    Likely the video provider gave barest glimpses to avert onslaught of patent infringements. Short of a battery powered propeller, vented fins are still the way to make distance.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Likely the video provider gave barest glimpses to avert onslaught of patent infringements. Short of a battery powered propeller, vented fins are still the way to make distance.
    editing - - - I'm surprised a design incorporating a Kort nozzle, maybe even a venturi eductor hasn't been incorporated for a self powered device.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 28, 2022 at 11:43 AM. Reason: mysterious double post
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks
    I will admit to being an ignoramus WRT patent law Toolmaker51, but how does showing a photo or video of a patented device violate patent rights?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    Oh, we have a diver thread! Yeah! I have poor circulation in my feet and subsequently foot cramps are a big limiting factor for my bottom time. Any suggestions for that, aside from losing another hundred pounds?

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I will admit to being an ignoramus WRT patent law Toolmaker51, but how does showing a photo or video of a patented device violate patent rights?
    ?
    Stated "Likely" video provider gave barest glimpses to avert onslaught of patent infringements.
    i.e. shorting his opportunity, possibly a patent pending.
    That's minimal display of the mechanism, mounting to the body, about any feature assisting another party design, getting a product marketed before the original. A brief intro like the video is 'Kickstarter'/ GoFundMe type fishing for partners or funds.

I'd compare this to my own issues. Within my not small toolroom, envision tying in sensible courses to a select public, igniting interest in the trades. Think I have banners, descriptions and neon all over town before getting the doors open? Any one with more resources could easily ruin this plan.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 31, 2022 at 05:51 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thread Information