Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The PositionALL - kind of a universal rotator for a vise or any work.

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools

The PositionALL - kind of a universal rotator for a vise or any work.

Here's a quick video showing a few of the features of the PositionALL darn-near-universally adjustable work mount.

This is a proof-of-concept/prototype. The finished tool will be powder coated and quite elegant (of course!).
    : - )

There's more features coming to it soon, I'm still in the design/prove-out stage.

Please, let me know ALL of your thoughts, complaints, questions, comments, kudos, and amazement!

At the start of the video I have my favorite Wilton 3" vise on it, then I swap that out for a base fixture that can have ANYTHING mounted to it.

You see, the PositionALL is designed to accept any 1-12" square tube mount that you want to weld up - just like a receiver-hitch.

Yeah, this is an unedited video that I just shot a half hour ago.

Cheers!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by CharlesWaugh; Dec 7, 2020 at 09:46 PM.
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com
    "Any tool is just a kit, to be modified as needed for the job at hand"

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to CharlesWaugh For This Useful Post:

asterix (Dec 13, 2020), Baddog (Dec 9, 2020), baja (Dec 9, 2020), blkadder (Dec 13, 2020), Chadboye (Dec 8, 2020), Christophe Mineau (Dec 14, 2020), Dry Creek Smithing (Dec 13, 2020), Duke_of_URL (Dec 8, 2020), emu roo (Dec 13, 2020), fizzloid (Jun 26, 2021), Francis4344 (Dec 9, 2020), jkahn (Dec 9, 2020), Jon (Dec 7, 2020), Maszynotwór (Dec 13, 2020), metric_taper (Dec 8, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Dec 8, 2020), neilbourjaily (Dec 13, 2020), nova_robotics (Dec 8, 2020), olderdan (Dec 8, 2020), Priemsy (Dec 13, 2020), rayh__ (Dec 8, 2020), rlm98253 (Dec 8, 2020), Scotty1 (Dec 8, 2020), Sleykin (Dec 14, 2020), Slim-123 (Dec 8, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Dec 13, 2020), trevor_60_r (Dec 18, 2020)

Thanks
    That's awesome! Looks like a rugged improvement over the Emmert Patternmaker's Vise...

The Iron Hand - Emmert Vises

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Nice! Sure could have used on of those back in my mold making days.

Thanks
    Brilliant! I want one.

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    Duke,
    Yes, it is!
    I had an Emmert for years - but using it as a welding vise just seemed mean.
    :-)
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    MoldyJim,
    The patternmaker crowd is certainly one of my target markets.
    Havin been a fine woodworker myself for years, I know the need.
    :-)
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    RLM,
    Sometime soon you should be able to buy one!
    The goal here is to get this bugger manufactured for actual sale.

Since I was a design engineer in a past life, I'm designing it not just for usability, but for manufacturabilty as well.

Once I finish all the trial and error, error, error stage, I'll finalize my design and get a set of prototype parts made so I can fab up and verify all my easy-to-manufacture ideas as well.

Then the world will beat a path to my door . . .
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CharlesWaugh For This Useful Post:

Priemsy (Dec 13, 2020), rlm98253 (Dec 8, 2020), Slim-123 (Dec 8, 2020)

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Charles, it looks like a good idea. most of my questions are related to the design process...

Assuming the ball is a bowling ball, does the socket parts end up scoring the surface of the ball? will the ball become "rougher" over sustained use, and therefore more "clicky" in the positions it locks in, or have reduced locking power as it wears (possibly unevenly)
    The locking mechanism seems to have a swinging pivot, and actuate at the bottom. Is the mech at the bottom tolerant of grinding dust, etc? is there a maintenance load/lubrication regime needed for continued service life?
    I notice the piece of wood under pedal (temporary travel stop?) - is there an issue of overtravel? what effect does that have on the system?
    Is there a minimum weight needed on the pedal to be effective? Should the mech have one pedal to unlock, with another to lock?

I know I'll be wanting one for myself in the future, but when I view with a lens of "in my place of work"... the questions above are what comes to me.

It's a great looking proposition, and I really want to see this available and successful,
    Des

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    Des,
    WOW! I love people like you (who think like me).

The sockets are CNC turned to match the 8.5" diameter of the ball, so they have a large bearing area and do not 'crease' into the ball.
    I am using a used ball for this proto and I like the slightly roughened surface of the ball, b/c it give 'bite'. New balls are polished. Though I have been in talks with a ball mfgr who is glad to do whatever I need.

The clamping arm and all pivot points are oilite bearings, press fit. there currently is no dust-seal designed in, but your question makes me think that a simple square-ring and keeper might be in order.

The 'crank arm' between the pedal and the main clamping arm is adjustable so you can dial it in as needed.

Yes, the wood is temporary - the idea is to incorporate a locking mechanism to keep the pedal all the way down in the 'loose ball' position, so you have both feet free to use a TIG pedal, or kick the cat, etc.
    With the ability to stop the ball at vertical of horizontal axis, this obviously becomes a handy 'turntable' for welding, in particular.

BUT, that said, I have designed this to be a 'dead man' action: if your foot slips off the pedal is CLAMPS! in position. My first horribly hacked-together-but-actually-working test wasn't that way and it scared the crap outta me to use it. : - )

BTW: I want to design a vise with centering jaws so things clamped are on-axis. : - )

THANKS very much for your questions - KEEP 'EM COMIN'!!
    You see, so far this has been designed in a bit of a vacuum, so having experienced eyes on it helps immensely.

Cheers!
    Last edited by CharlesWaugh; Dec 8, 2020 at 08:15 PM.
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesWaugh For This Useful Post:

rlm98253 (Dec 8, 2020), trigger (Dec 8, 2020)

Thanks
    Nailed it,please send sample immediately to 13 elmer st Pacific Ocean drive.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to trigger For This Useful Post:

Dry Creek Smithing (Dec 13, 2020)

Thread Information