Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Powering my rotary table

Thanks

charles scozzari's Tools

Powering my rotary table

Hi, I would like to show you what I came up with to motorize my 10" R/T. I used a mill power feed to achieve this and it worked out well, giving me control of the speed for much better finishes. I had to mount the feed horizontally in order to clear the mill knee. Thanks for looking.

Powering my rotary table-107_2761.jpg

Powering my rotary table-107_2762.jpg

Powering my rotary table-107_2758.jpg

Powering my rotary table-107_2754.jpg

Powering my rotary table-107_2760.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by charles scozzari; Nov 1, 2022 at 08:48 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charles scozzari For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 2, 2022), metric_taper (Nov 1, 2022), Saltfever (Nov 7, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Nov 1, 2022)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Nice job making the structural stand mount for the power feed.
    I have used these as well, one I put on my lathe tail stock, the smooth slow operation controls the drill speed so I don't get chatter. This is on my small 10x24 bench lathe, and I can use very large drills (I've used a reduced shank 1.5" drill) as the feed depth is very well controlled.
    I also put one on my drill press as a down feed, the only problem, it can't drive the pinion gear directly as it needs some gear reduction. I found a 10:1 gear box intended for stepper motors and put that in series with the power feed unit.
    I have a future project to put this on my manual surface grinder, one would traverse the table back and forth, the other feed the table.

2,000+ Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

charles scozzari (Nov 2, 2022), Saltfever (Nov 7, 2022)

Thanks

charles scozzari's Tools
    Thank you for your reply, I love the idea you had of mounting the feed to your tailstock and your drill. I have a Nicols horizontal mill that uses a pneumatic table feed system that has seen better days and have intensions of mounting a power feed to that table. The method you used to power you drill is genius. Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Once the importance of the mounting stand is understood, these power feeds become general purpose variable speed drive motors. And the price for them off ($106) eBay is cheap. I've not seen any quality differences between the expensive Servo brand I purchased years ago from Enco for my Wells-Index. It did have a custom mounting stand for that milling machine brand. But I put two more on the table lift and saddle feed. I did have to make custom mounting stands for them, and for the table lift, I made a new shaft to the bevel gear, but it was a zero talent machining task.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

charles scozzari (Nov 2, 2022), Jon (Nov 4, 2022)

Thanks

charles scozzari's Tools
    thanks for posting what you've accomplished using the power feeds. Very nice work. I love the p/feed on the drill and am going to copy that soon. Thanks again for the video's. much appreciated.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,668 Posts

Thanks charles scozzari! We've added your Rotary Table Power Feed to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: charles scozzari's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks metric_taper! We've added your Drill Press Power Down Feed to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: metric_taper's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks metric_taper! We've added your Lathe Tailstock Power Feed to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: metric_taper's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information