Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Propane tank valve removal holding fixture - photo

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    I do not know about other countries but here in Spain the valves on these bottles are soft soldered in place for 100% sealing and will unscrew easily if heated enough to soften the solder. I did not know this until after I struggled to remove my first one, then I could see why.
    Of course it is best to ensure that the bottle has been well drained and vented first.

These bottles have numerous uses. I have used them for the media in blasting applications, sand and sodium bicarbonate. They can be used as compressed air cylinders which can be filled from a compressor at base and then taken into the field without the weight and bulk of a compressor. Their usefulness is only limited by imagination.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Apr 27, 2021), olderdan (Jan 26, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    I agree on the many uses for these gas tanks, my recycling centre has dozens of them but when asked they are not allowed to let me buy a couple, (health and safety regs). How does that fit with true recycling.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    I agree on the many uses for these gas tanks, my recycling centre has dozens of them but when asked they are not allowed to let me buy a couple, (health and safety regs). How does that fit with true recycling.
    They use & abuse H&S regs to stop such things mainly out of convenience, though covering ones arse should some fool try cutting one without venting and fully purging is probably a major driver in our litigious world. I've done well at such sites by asking those disposing before the cylinders left their car if I can have it, as soon as it touches the ground the site operator is responsible for it. In most parts of the world butane and propane cylinders are rented, the owners details are stamped and/or embossed, so modifying them is legally unacceptable or even theft, those making garden burners from them do get investigated by the major cylinder rental companies with prosecution the likely outcome https://www.calor.co.uk/news-and-vie...-gas-cylindersPropane tank valve removal holding fixture - photo-cyl.jpg

Only unbranded cylinders, such as 'disposable' balloon gas ones, are viable legally, though H&S law does still apply. One of my job tasks at work is destroying disposable gas cylinders so they can go into the scrap bin, the procedure R.A.M.S. is many pages long...

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Interesting comments about the valves being soldered in in Spain and not being able to buy used ones. Here I just got one of those big next to house ones from the scrap yard for a dozen beer, the 9 kg ones are about $5 scrap value. Cylinders can be rented /leased or bought outright but buying means you pay for a cylinder test every 10 years. A 32 mm 3/4" drive impact socket with a bit cut out of the side whizzes the valve out real fast.

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Flea markets here always have different sellers with cylinders for sale. Illegal because they are the property of the gas companies, but there they are if you have 5 euros or thereabouts.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Facebook marketplace has quite a lot too, occasionally 'free' usually £10-15 each M/T, have seen £50 M/T on there too, crazy price unless you have a hire agreement and paperwork so you can get the deposit back. The Bigger 47 Kg's are often stolen, used and left dumped by the mobile stolen caravan stealing b'stards as they move around the UK, one farmer had 15-20 left with all the other sh*te in his fields, the 'owner' (gas co) wouldn't send a truck to collect them, so he used them as bollards to protect his farm-yard half sunk and filled with concrete!

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Interesting comments about the valves being soldered in in Spain and not being able to buy used ones. Here I just got one of those big next to house ones from the scrap yard for a dozen beer, the 9 kg ones are about $5 scrap value. Cylinders can be rented /leased or bought outright but buying means you pay for a cylinder test every 10 years. A 32 mm 3/4" drive impact socket with a bit cut out of the side whizzes the valve out real fast.
    When I lived in California I bought cylinders, but was able to trade them in for full ones. I even bought an old, out of date CO2 cylinder for a few $ off someone and immediately traded it in for a full one (paying for the CO2). Very nice not having to pay rental or even take it back to the same place.

I have no idea what the rules will be when we finally get to our new place.

Oh yes, for now we're staying with friends in Illinois. If anyone is around here...HI!

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Here in Spain, you have a contract for so many bottles with the gas suppliers, you do not buy or pay rent on the bottles. It is free. You only pay for the gas. You take an empty bottle back and get a full one. In the towns and villages you leave the empties outside your house and a truck comes around swapping the empties for full, once a week. You leave the money under the empties. Thus it is hard to see why people buy bottles at flea markets. I think that this is mainly illegal foreigners who fear the idea of getting a contract. There is no check that you have a contract when you take an empty to exchange for a full one. Petrol stations, builders' merchants and garden centres are typical places where you can exchange the bottles. If you have other uses for the bottles then it is understandable that you might buy one at a market.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information