Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Punching sprockets - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,861 Times in 9,935 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 15, 2023), Ralphxyz (Dec 14, 2023)

Thanks

carl blum's Tools
    No Safety Appliances used at all. Carl.

Per OSHA:

1910.217(c)(3)(i)(e) Requiring application of both of the operator's hands to machine operating controls and locating such controls at such a safety distance from the point of operation that the slide completes the downward travel or stops before the operator can reach into the point of operation with his hands; or

1910.217(c)(3)(i)(f) Enclosing the point of operation before a press stroke can be initiated, and maintaining this closed condition until the motion of the slide had ceased; or

1910.217(c)(3)(i)(g) Enclosing the point of operation before a press stroke can be initiated, so as to prevent an operator from reaching into the point of operation prior to die closure or prior to cessation of slide motion during the downward stroke.

I worked as a Die Maker in a Punch Press shop and either the dies had guards or two hand control. I've run production on presses and after a while it is easy to forget how to be safe. Carl.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by carl blum; Dec 12, 2023 at 08:16 AM. Reason: More information

4. The Following User Says Thank You to carl blum For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 20, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,791 Times in 4,209 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by carl blum View Post
    No Safety Appliances used at all. Carl.
    Not sure which safeties you think are missing. The video seems to be accelerated. If slowed to .25 the speed is more Intune with human hand movement speeds. The operator doing the initial punching is wearing gloves and clearly has enough time between punching's to advance the strip of material for the next sprocket as is evident by the way the strip is repositioned at least once after it is advanced before the next sprocket is punched. The second operator uses a plier to remove the sprocket after the final punching and a flat tool with a magnet to insert the sprocket blank the punch stops and hesitates before coming back down this could be foot operated. A no time do either operator place their hands under the punch area.

If you are thinking some kind of barrier to prevent hands from getting under the punches, I have never seen a single machine made with those which could be operated in any other manner than for sales demonstrations if they are the barriers ultimately create more injurious conditions than they prevent. Rotating equipment accepted

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 12, 2023 at 07:34 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 20, 2023)

Thread Information