Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences

After I bought my first Supreme Reversible Gear Reduction Screw Driver it seemed like I really hit upon something
    really useful that was made in the '50s or '60s and was selling for not much cash. This was the model 4100.

My idea was to use it for tapping in the drill press. I did not need a reversing gear reduced screw driver since
    the battery powered drills do all of that.

I was able to use the unit I purchased for $10.00 (including shipping) to tap 72 holes in a work plate while using it
    in the drill press. My DP's slowest speed is too fast for tapping and still being able to stop it before the tap jams up.
    That is where the 7:1 gear reduction really helps. I can tap at a nice slow speed. When I have gone deep enough
    I simply release my hold on the drum, stop the DP and then rotate the Supreme about 1.5 turns in reverse, push it up
    and then just restart the DP. Tap is reversed and run back out of the hole. Almost as good as a tap-matic but not quite.

I found another on the bay for not much cash and it looked different so I bought it but it was not a PushPull Tapper.
    It was basically the same as the first Supreme unit but with differences. It is a Buck Supreme which is green in color
    and was much less used than the first model 4100. I will just call it my "green unit".

Then all of a sudden a PushPull Tapper came up on the bay. Got it for $50.00 and it had 4 collets with it. Now this one
    looked like the one I really wanted. This is model 9000.

Yep, it was the one! All you need to do is put in a tap. ( 4-40 to 5/16) collets are available but mine was missing the 6-32.
    Thats ok since my main use will be 10-32, 1/4-20, and 5/16-18. I would not even try this with 6-32 or smaller.

Here is the difference in how it works. Start DP with unit in the DP chuck, bring down the quill and the tap sill start as soon as you
    grip the rotating collar. When deep enough just release your grip, raise the quill about 1/2" and grip the other rotating collar.
    That's it. You do not have to stop the DP and you do not have to "unwind" the Tapper 1 1/2 turns like you need to do with the others.

I think all of these were made to be used with a portable drill motor. Supreme makes a Versatapper that was made for a drill press
    and has a capacity of up to 1/2" taps. I think you also need special Supreme collets for that one.

Here are the differences between the units as the method for attaching chucks or collets is different as well as the driving spindle.

I will first describe the PushPull Tapper and then post two more times with the pictures and descriptions of the other units.

The PushPull Tapper has 5 (I think 5) unique collets for holding taps. It does not hold screwdriver bits.
    It is not made to hold a chuck but is made to be used with special collets.
    The nose thread is 5/8-16 and the "nose nut" fits that thread for holding in the collets.
    The drive side has a 1/2-20 thread and the unit came with a 1/4" to 1/2" arbor.
    I don't care much for that 1/2 to 1/4 adapter and will replace it with a 1/2-20 adapter.
    Reversing is semi-automatic. No need to stop the drill press.

Well that is it for the PushPull tapper. Here are the pics for it.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences-img_2492.jpg   PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences-img_2493.jpg   PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences-img_2494.jpg   PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences-img_2495.jpg   PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences-img_2496.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Back to the shop.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Altair (Mar 19, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 17, 2019), Seedtick (Mar 11, 2019), sossol (Mar 12, 2019)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools

Green Unit

Here are the differences of the Green Unit (Rigid Supreme)
    First off it is green. So you know right away that it is different.
    Then there is the drive side. It is threaded 1/2-20. Good thing since it came without an arbor.
    Now the real difference is the front end. It has a JT1 taper on it and the aluminum "nose" piece fits on that taper.
    But wait. A drill chuck with a JT1 will fit there too.
    I added a Jacobs chuck and now it can grip taps. So far with my 1/4-20 it works great. No Slip, no bunch, you know the rest.
    It operates exactly the same as the model 4100. No actual model number on it, just a place for two numbers to be punched
    followed by 00. Whatever, I know what it is since it is Green!
    This one had an instruction manual.
    It is in the best shape of all of them. Quite snug works fine.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences-img_2497.jpg   PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences-img_2499.jpg   PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences-img_2500.jpg  

2000 Tool Plans
    Back to the shop.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Mar 17, 2019), Seedtick (Mar 11, 2019)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools

Model 4100 Supreme Reversible Gear Reduction

Here is the 4100. Just that same old gray color. Looks a bit Navy to me. I like it.
    It was my first and the one that got me started looking for it's cousins!

Big difference is the 1/4" input shaft. Not changeable like the other two.
    It works fine but is a bit long..

The nose on this one has a 1/2-20 thread so it is easy to put on a chuck.
    The aluminum nose piece on this one is frozen in place. It may be hiding a
    morse taper under it but this one is not coming off.

Best practice for this tool in my thinking would be to get a small dedicated drill press with
    maybe say a MT2 or MT3 spindle. Then get an Morse arbor that fits that drill press with
    a 1/2-20 threaded end. Now if you can find a PushPull Tapper with collets you have a
    dedicated tapping setup for small sizes up to 5/16". By eliminating the original DP chuck
    you will gain head space and a shorter tool string.

Next option is to buy a Supreme Versatapper and use it on your drill press.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PushPull Tapper Three types displayed with differences-4100supreme.jpg  
    Back to the shop.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Mar 11, 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
    After I bought my first Supreme Reversible Gear Reduction Screw Driver it seemed like I really hit upon something
    really useful that was made in the '50s or '60s and was selling for not much cash. This was the model 4100.

My idea was to use it for tapping in the drill press. I did not need a reversing gear reduced screw driver since
    the battery powered drills do all of that.

I was able to use the unit I purchased for $10.00 (including shipping) to tap 72 holes in a work plate while using it
    in the drill press. My DP's slowest speed is too fast for tapping and still being able to stop it before the tap jams up.
    That is where the 7:1 gear reduction really helps. I can tap at a nice slow speed. When I have gone deep enough
    I simply release my hold on the drum, stop the DP and then rotate the Supreme about 1.5 turns in reverse, push it up
    and then just restart the DP. Tap is reversed and run back out of the hole. Almost as good as a tap-matic but not quite.

I found another on the bay for not much cash and it looked different so I bought it but it was not a PushPull Tapper.
    It was basically the same as the first Supreme unit but with differences. It is a Buck Supreme which is green in color
    and was much less used than the first model 4100. I will just call it my "green unit".

Then all of a sudden a PushPull Tapper came up on the bay. Got it for $50.00 and it had 4 collets with it. Now this one
    looked like the one I really wanted. This is model 9000.

Yep, it was the one! All you need to do is put in a tap. ( 4-40 to 5/16) collets are available but mine was missing the 6-32.
    Thats ok since my main use will be 10-32, 1/4-20, and 5/16-18. I would not even try this with 6-32 or smaller.

Here is the difference in how it works. Start DP with unit in the DP chuck, bring down the quill and the tap sill start as soon as you
    grip the rotating collar. When deep enough just release your grip, raise the quill about 1/2" and grip the other rotating collar.
    That's it. You do not have to stop the DP and you do not have to "unwind" the Tapper 1 1/2 turns like you need to do with the others.

I think all of these were made to be used with a portable drill motor. Supreme makes a Versatapper that was made for a drill press
    and has a capacity of up to 1/2" taps. I think you also need special Supreme collets for that one.

Here are the differences between the units as the method for attaching chucks or collets is different as well as the driving spindle.

I will first describe the PushPull Tapper and then post two more times with the pictures and descriptions of the other units.

The PushPull Tapper has 5 (I think 5) unique collets for holding taps. It does not hold screwdriver bits.
    It is not made to hold a chuck but is made to be used with special collets.
    The nose thread is 5/8-16 and the "nose nut" fits that thread for holding in the collets.
    The drive side has a 1/2-20 thread and the unit came with a 1/4" to 1/2" arbor.
    I don't care much for that 1/2 to 1/4 adapter and will replace it with a 1/2-20 adapter.
    Reversing is semi-automatic. No need to stop the drill press.

Well that is it for the PushPull tapper. Here are the pics for it.

Cheers, JR
    JR
    I bought one just like you have pictured. Mine does not have any paperwork and I never did anything with it. After reading your thread I think I will pull mine out and see just what is what and how it works. If you have any instruction I would appreciate any info.
    Nelson

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Mar 17, 2019)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks Nelson, glad to see you found one. I think you will find it useful if you need to tap a lot of holes on or off the DP.
    Once it is in the drill press chuck and you have inserted a collet and tap all you need to do is bring the quill down into the hole
    then grip the rotating hub and it should tap into the hole. When it is deep enough just release your grip, move the quill up about
    1/2 inch and grip the other rotating collar and the tap should back out. You can stop the process anytime since you are the "gripper".
    As soon as you release the rotating collar the unit just free wheels. You have total command with the quill and the grip.

Cheers, JR
    Back to the shop.

Thanks
    JR
    Thank you very much. I put mine on a shelf and forgot about it until I saw yours and seeing the potential I will pull it out and give it a try.
    Thank you
    Nelson

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Mar 18, 2019)

Thread Information