Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Quality Modifactions on a Cheap Bead Roller

Supporting Member barts metalwork's Avatar
    Thanks

barts metalwork's Tools

Quality Modifactions on a Cheap Bead Roller

I bought a cheap (HBM) Bead Roller a month ago. After some testing it was time to make some modifications. The side movement is terrible and needs to be fixed. But if I start this project I might as well do some other modifications to make it more usable:

Adjustment hand crank
    Wide throat
    Drive hand wheel
    Stand
    Pointer
    Depth stop
    Sliding adjustment on bottom shaft
    Working table
    Dies storage

I want to use it first without a motor, but I will add one in the future.

The making of video is on my YouTube Channel Barts Metalwork:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to barts metalwork For This Useful Post:

BrianW (May 20, 2020), clydeman (May 20, 2020), Jon (May 20, 2020), Lumalo (May 21, 2020), mwmkravchenko (May 20, 2020), NortonDommi (Feb 7, 2021), Rangi (May 21, 2020), Slim-123 (May 25, 2020)

Thanks

mr herb's Tools
    THE BEST video that I have seen,in regards to utility of design, and quality of workmanship. Worthy of some kind of award.

What is the make of your milling machine?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

barts metalwork's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mr herb View Post
    THE BEST video that I have seen,in regards to utility of design, and quality of workmanship. Worthy of some kind of award.
    What is the make of your milling machine?
    Thank you. The Milling Machine is a Schaublin 13

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Bart;

This has to be one of the best bead roller upgrades I've seen. Seriously you have done a massive overhaul and made many significant upgrades. Frankly it is almost as if you started from zero.

I'm sitting here trying to think about what else you could do beyond a motor drive. The one thing that I've always wondered about is placing a crank above the rollers, slightly to the right. This would require a right angle drive of some sort but the thought was that it would be handy for precision work or even make one man operation easier for odd shaped items. By the way not a big fan of motor drives here due to the finger pinching potential. About the only other thing I can think of is a scale for the fence, that is easy to do. Maybe something else will come up.

In any event a fantastic post about making something so so awesome.

Thanks

barts metalwork's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Bart;

This has to be one of the best bead roller upgrades I've seen. Seriously you have done a massive overhaul and made many significant upgrades. Frankly it is almost as if you started from zero.

I'm sitting here trying to think about what else you could do beyond a motor drive. The one thing that I've always wondered about is placing a crank above the rollers, slightly to the right. This would require a right angle drive of some sort but the thought was that it would be handy for precision work or even make one man operation easier for odd shaped items. By the way not a big fan of motor drives here due to the finger pinching potential. About the only other thing I can think of is a scale for the fence, that is easy to do. Maybe something else will come up.

In any event a fantastic post about making something so so awesome.
    Thanks! And a fence scale is nice idea. And the crank might also work for small work. But I think I will add a motor because holding the work with two hands also improves a lot on precision work.

Thanks
    outstanding craftman ship ,thanks,billkee

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    A bit surprising that the Aluminium plates were not put into a warm Alum/water mix and left until the taps dissolved.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information