This isn't a "tool" so to speak but I designed this for an Astro van I am building. The shifter is mounted to the repositioned and lengthened engine cover. In order to remove the engine cover for service I either had to remove the shifter or diconnect the cable. The cable made more sense....
The cable for my Outlaw shifter actully threads into a little block that then bolts to the front of the shifter. This is why I was able to do what I did.
I made a new block for the cable to thread into. A bit bigger than the original.
Here is the front of the shifter.. The old block was held on with the lower bolt and the cable went thru the slot above it.
Here is the new block (1/4" plate) being drilled and tapped to replace the original. The size is 1 1/2 X 1 5/8ths.
Mounted on the shifter. The two holes on the right are for a couple of quick release pins.
Stll bolted in place with the QR holes drilled thru the shifter body.
Not done yet! In order for this bracket to do it's job I have to make another piece that will "clam" over the front of the shifter. This will keep the cable from moving back and forth on the quick release pins.