Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Racecar hood flips open midrace - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Apr 28, 2021), Rangi (Apr 30, 2021), Tonyg (Apr 29, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 608 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I have that car. My hood latch works though.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Had that happen to me in 1977 in my 67' MGB. Nothing prepares for that...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    A few decades ago, I was driving at 70 mph on a freeway in Portland, Or., and had to change lanes in a hurry after I came around a curve, and spotted a guy that had stopped his truck in the left lane. He was trying to pry the hood of his truck off the windshield. Fortunately, it was Sunday, so there was little traffic. I didn't stop to help him.
    Last edited by Gadgeteer; Apr 29, 2021 at 06:49 AM.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    73 Mustang for me. Borrowed it from a friend and I was going 60 MPH when it happened. He apologized and told me he was having problems with that happening but he was going slow when it happened. Haven't spoken to him since! I never cleaned the stain off of the seat either!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Saw it happen to a pick up truck driving the opposite direction on a 2 lane country road. Scared me to see it happen, glad I was not the driver! I saw in the mirror, he got stopped with no further damage.

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Happened to me in my 66 VW Baja doing 45 on a two lane road (the one in my avatar). Fortunately, there was no other traffic and I had the window down. It happened the same place that I was returning another company's 22' trailer with a worn out hitch and it popped off the ball...no traffic at that moment either, lol.
    Last edited by baja; Apr 29, 2021 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added content

Thanks
    Air brake deployment.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I was thinking about buying my first wife a new Chrysler Conquest TSI in 1987. The sales man took me out for a test drive so we drove out to a little used section of a newly opened freeway, on the way back he said go ahead open it up and feel how it responds. For a little 2.6l turbocharged engine I will say it was mildly on the peppy side but once I hit 8MPH the hood sailed right over our heads I don't think I slowed down until we were back at the dealership, my knuckles were sill making impressions in the steering wheel. Wound up buying a loaded to the max 5th avenue for a lot less than the little 4 banger was going to cost me. I think it was to keep me from suing them. I mean come on no one gets to buy a $25,000.00 sticker price car for 13 grand. The wife thought I had lost my mind for buying such an expensive car when saw it, after it was delivered. Don't think I ever did tell here how much I paid for it or how I came about buying it instead of the car she wanted.
    I've had hoods fly up on old bomber cars at the track, but while doing 20 miles over the posted speed it is a whole different experience you never want to have.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Try it at 128 mph!

Who would have thought a FRONT mounted, yes, . . . a front hinged hood would fly open! Austin Healy’s of the 50’s have the hood hinged at the front and open upward at the base of the windshield. Why worry about a secure latch, after all, the force from the wind would keep it slammed shut right? Wrong! While approaching the lights at Baylands (a drag strip in Fremont Ca) an explosive force suddenly thrust my hood straight up into 128 mph air. Evidently the air coming through the grill pressurized the engine compartment enough to blow the latch. I could see the edge of the track, and knowing it was straight, the only worry was the other guy crossing over in front of me to get to the exit. At that speed you had to brake hard at Baylands to make the 1st exit. The last exit was the fence at the end. I almost didn’t make it due to a delayed braking response caused by incredulous neurons. Applying the brakes was almost instinctive and immediate. However, not knowing what happened, if I had blown and engine and oiled the tires, I delayed applying serious braking force. At 187 ft/sec, mili seconds count! The hood dropped back down just as I neared the end of the track. Clear memory 58 years later.

BTW, an aluminum, 2020lb car, with a modified SBC can definitely do that speed in the quarter.
    Last edited by Saltfever; May 2, 2021 at 11:47 PM.

Thread Information