Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reducing X and Y Axis Backlash on a RF-30 Mill/Drill

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    Thanks Rick,
    It answers partially but as you said it can be good as possible, despite I've seen this technology totally out of possibilities especially on Mikron lathes used in production, they have a nut fitted like the nut for the lead screw which is on the horizontal axis and not perpendicular as yours.
    Making a lot of work on specific models we have for example a value on Schaublin of 15/100 millimeters on the scale as a standard, this was the sense of my question, as I use those values for others lathes or milling machines.
    The best I can make on a normal nut/screw is on the Aciera F series with about 6/100 on the scale before it comes hard to operate, you said it can be less with this technique ?
    Binding of the leadscrew means it is not parallel enough to the ways for the given backlash.

The relationship between the rotation of the leadscrew and advancement of the table has three sources of error. With every full revolution of the leadscrew there will be a periodic error. This is due to the nut. You will also see error as the table advances. This is error in the leadscrew pitch. And finally, there is error due to backlash. When you change direction, some rotation of the leadscrew must occur before the table starts to move.

Error related to the nut might be due to having multiple contact points that make intermittent contact on each revolution. I found this error to be rather small but if it is not, a close inspection of the nut threads may turn up clues on high spots.

Error related to the leadscrew plus backlash can be nicely minimized with screw mapping. Screw mapping is intended for ball screws but, IMHO, works even better with run-of-the-mill leadscrews.

The key thing about canceling any error is to look for consistency. Any error that does not change over time can be canceled.

I am giving you the "Cliff Notes" version of my articles. There is a lot of detail not mentioned here.

Screw Mapping: https://rick.sparber.org/CSMX.pdf

Backlash reduction: https://rick.sparber.org/ma.html#Mill and then look under "Mill Modifications"

I'm not sure I have improved on my answer. Please let me know.

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Okapi (Aug 16, 2019)

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Thanks Rick,
    It will me take some time to read those documents, then I prefer to explain that before you think I don't answer. ;-)
    Have a nice week-end.
    Pierre

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information