Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Reference Fence for Milling Vice

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

Reference Fence for Milling Vice

As we here in SA have another 2 hours of load shedding, I have to bore you with another "had to do this a long time ago" tool/Aid.

I am in the process of building a CNC Router so have lots of little blocks to make to house the linear bearings, rod supports and lead screw holders.

As I have to be as accurate as possible I was using my edge finder before any new operation.

So it was quite easy to establish that the front face of the vice will always stay in the same place so it was only the "Y" axis that was changing. So to eliminate this I added a "FENCE" to the side of my vice. I wanted it to be easy to quickly fit and remove.

A bit of a mission to drill into the vice as I do not have a second one to clamp this one in, but where there is a will there is a way.

Reference Fence for Milling Vice-vice-fence-1.jpg Reference Fence for Milling Vice-vice-fence-2.jpg

So 3 x M5 tapped at 15mm and was sorted.

I made a little clamp plate that will secure a piece of HSS to side of the vice. I can now easily fit it and just push the work piece against it and that will reference the work piece in the same position is you have to make multiples of the same part and I can just crank it up to where the DRO tells me to take it to.

Reference Fence for Milling Vice-vice-fence-3.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

bgerens (Jan 5, 2020), Jon (Jan 9, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Vise Refererence Fence to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information