Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Reproducing parts in un-obtainium

Supporting Member Occasional machinist's Avatar
    Thanks

Occasional machinist's Tools

Reproducing parts in un-obtainium

In this clip I make up some photographic equipment parts that a friend of mine was having trouble getting - supply chain issues meant waits of many months, if then...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Occasional machinist For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 27, 2023), Inner (Mar 20, 2023), Scotty1 (Mar 22, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Occasional machinist! We've added your Camera Mounts to our Photography and Videography category,
    as well as to your builder page: Occasional machinist's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Occasional machinist View Post
    In this clip I make up some photographic equipment parts that a friend of mine was having trouble getting - supply chain issues meant waits of many months, if then...
    Pretty nifty. I have, somewhere here, a tripod that uses a similar plate to hold the camera in place. Bought it from a thrift store decades ago, planning on doing something like this to it. Life interfered, and I put up my cameras, instead. Maybe sometime in the new future...

Bill

Supporting Member Occasional machinist's Avatar
    Thanks

Occasional machinist's Tools
    A bit off topic, but that's a nice little shaper there Bill - never seen one that small. Does it work or is it more a show piece?
    Michael

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    It sort of works, but needs another overhaul. My so-called workshop is a former back porch, slab on ground, and whenever it rains, the floor floods. I apparently didn't get it oiled sufficiently to keep it from re-rusting. Have a VFD & 600rpm gear motor to install on it, and that's been on hold for several years now. Keep getting distracted by other problems. Mostly medical these days. It's a Lewis Machine Tool shaper. Lewis was a manufacturer of kits of castings, active from the 1920's too 1957, so no two Lewis Shapers are identical. When I got it, it had a 48vdc motor generator, and some really sketchy wiring, and had been sitting out in the rain for some months after the previous owner died. My friend Bill Hinkle knew I was looking for a shaper, and was pretty broke at the time, and bought it, and offered it to me for $150, on any payment schedule I could manage. My wife is the understanding sort, and allowed me to buy it, and pay for it immediately. A few years later, she bought, for me, his restoration project South Bend Heavy 10L tool room lathe. That's sitting here waiting for me to work on it, too. I'm over-subscribed for restoration projects.

Bill

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Occasional machinist (Mar 27, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Occasional machinist View Post
    Very nice solution for a friend's needs. I find it most satisfying when I can help someone out like that. Making things like those trays can never be looked at from a cost to produce perspective, Which, is something most cannot understand why a person would even want to make them. In the past I have made or repaired parts for some very antique machine assemblies that were originally cast parts made out of cast iron. Sometimes all was needed was to shape a bit of steel to resemble a missing piece then weld it in and peen it to roughen the surface to disguise the fact it was a repair other times it might require making the entire casting because it was so worn out or damaged as to not be repairable. or missing. from a business standpoint it would never be feasible, but from the standpoint of you helping someone get what they need disregarding manufacturing cost is more rewarding.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    'Snip' That's sitting here waiting for me to work on it, too. I'm over-subscribed for restoration projects.

Bill
    It has always been my case. If at any time I find that I am not oversubscribed in projects. Another one will invent itself to refill may plate.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information