Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Restoration of tool grinding machine PEAR (Deckel SO clone)

Thanks

Restoration of tool grinding machine PEAR (Deckel SO clone)

1. Intro. Ladies and gentlemen,
    Recently I bought a tool grinding machine named PEAR, similar to Deckel SO. It was incomplete, I paid USD 200, including transportation from Italy to Romania.
    My idea is to adapt it in order to sharp end-mill and other HSS tools.
    First stage is to remove all pieces of the main body, clean them, measure and replace some of them if it will be necessary. Second stage is to mill and turning some adapter to use sharpening machine as its purpose.
    2. The job. I have extracted all pieces, less then quill which is mounted on upper side of main cast iron body of grinding machine. There are inside some bearing with some strange noise. I have to change them.
    I have no idea how to extract the quill. The cast iron body of this machine has no any hole in opposite part of quill entrance. I extracted the screw of quill which is located on upper side of cast iron main body, but I cannot take out the quill.
    3. Help. If some of you made some restoration of grinding machine, please give me some guidance or ideas to take out the quill. Please...
    Restoration of  tool grinding machine PEAR (Deckel SO clone)-pear111.jpg
    Restoration of  tool grinding machine PEAR (Deckel SO clone)-pear112.jpg
    Restoration of  tool grinding machine PEAR (Deckel SO clone)-pear114.jpg
    Respect to all !
    Marius Dragomir, hobby machinist

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    If understanding description correctly;
    Most any tool grinding machine spindles are "cartridges", compared to a case and end bells like a pedestal grinder. Offhand machines only control end play for motor life. Precision grinding like cutters requires spindle to remain at position to produce equal edges.
    Commonly a ball bearing at one end and two at the other, one a ball and one angular contact or thrust bearing. The spindle is threaded on the far end to adjust near zero end play (even less at running temperature).
    Before proceeding, you might find a exploded view of a Deckel SO, safe bet the Pear varies little.
    This case looks like all that is behind that plate (actually externally threaded flange) with two spanner wrench holes, threaded into the body, or a liner inside the casting.
    Sounds as if you're equipped to make a suitable wrench for that. The easiest method seems to be a plate with a hole to clear the shaft, straddled by two holes matching center to center distance of the 'flange' holes. Drill and tap those for maybe 8mm bolts, each one end turned to diameter of those small holes. Screw the bolts into the wrench and voila!

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information