Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Restoring a Smart & Brown Lathe

  1. #1
    Mr Mechanical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post

    Restoring a Smart & Brown Lathe

    Hi Guys

    New to this forum. Thought I'd share my current project. Last week a bought a Smart & Brown Sabel Lathe.

    So far I have stripped the lathe down and I'm just staring to clean, de-grease, de-rust and paint.

    Also, there is a bit of play in the spindle, so I hope to fix this when rebuilding.

    Videoing this project and sharing it on youtube, so if your interested please check out part 1 (strip down) on my channel:


    Any tips on how to remove paint from the cast iron parts would be appreciated. (currently I'm thinking of using paint stripper.)

    Also, ideas on how to improve / check the the accuracy of the machine would be appreciated.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr Mechanical For This Useful Post:

    baja (08-13-2019), high-side (08-12-2019), Jon (08-11-2019), Seedtick (08-12-2019)

  3. #2
    DIYSwede's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden...
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 143 Times in 54 Posts

    DIYSwede's Tools
    Welcome aboard, Mr Mechanical and congrats to your find!
    I guess you'll find some tips and tricks around here.

    Seems like your lathe is abt equal to (or rather: better than) the Blomqvist BS-600 Master
    (of mid-seventies vintage) I have at work - a Swedish made South Bend clone.

    I'll check up on your progress, and chime in when I can.

    Cheers, Johan

  4. #3
    Mr Mechanical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
    So this week I've been cleaning the parts I've removed ahead of painting the parts with the new color.

    For bare metal parts I have used an 'acid bath' to removed rust. When the parts are removed from the bath they appear to have a dull coating (I assume from the acid crystals). I removed this dull coating by trying a wire wheel in the bench grinder. I was getting impatient with this method and tried emery / sand paper which worked much better.

    For the painted parts first I washed them off with clean water (hose pipe). Rubbed them down with degreaser and emery paper. Then applied paint stripper.
    The paint stripper didn't work as well as I'd hoped so also used sand paper on the paint work - including the used of a palm sander. I now have some abrasive mops ordered for my drill - I'll let you all know how these work once they arrive.

    Again I've video'd my progress and added it to youtube. Thanks to anyone who watched the previous video!


  5. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Mr Mechanical,

    I have just bought the same beast and it needs a lot of work. I'm really keen to hear how you get on - I haven't got much time to spend on it at the moment but hoping to soon.

    BW

    MarkRestoring a Smart & Brown Lathe-d4070b23-c232-4429-a680-34050d2d5a74.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Restoring a Smart & Brown Lathe-d4070b23-c232-4429-a680-34050d2d5a74.jpg  


    Post your reply!
    Join 33,912 of us and get our 173 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.



    173 Must Read Homemade Tools

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •