Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Reuse of old sliding bevel-rotary knife

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Reuse of old sliding bevel-rotary knife

I saw on HMT not long ago a post about building a rotary knife, which I thought I might be able to copy. I have put in a search fo this, but can’t find it, but thanks to who ever it was.
    It did not go as smoothly as the video. I cut a circle from an old hand saw blade, but having ground an edge, found that rust pitting had left a notch. I found another, thicker saw blade, cut another circle, but it was so eccentric after grinding, I nearly gave up. The wheel is about 2” in diameter and there was at least 3/16” difference in the radii on opposite sides! I had chucked it in my bench drill and tried to true it with an angle grinder. What went wrong? I dont know.

Reuse of old sliding bevel-rotary knife-25f14f08-7d33-4d8c-8ef9-0e5d8f1527a8.jpeg[

This antique sliding bevel had had a lifetime’s use when it came to me, minus the fastening screw, which is 3/16”, but the thread is so worn as to make tightening impossible. The stock is ebony. A quality tool, but no makers mark.

This is what I used it for. As suggested, I made guards, although I cut a finger putting them on.

Reuse of old sliding bevel-rotary knife-0c147844-3301-4d61-b7f1-d2885696e268.jpeg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Inner (May 25, 2023), Jon (Jun 1, 2023), olderdan (May 26, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Hi Phil I apreciate your desire to recycle and make things but I think on this occasion you may be better of with a cheap pizza wheel cutter.
    recards Olderdan

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Rotary Knife to our Knife Making category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Hi Phil I apreciate your desire to recycle and make things but I think on this occasion you may be better of with a cheap pizza wheel cutter.
    recards Olderdan
    Well, there’ld be no fun in that! (Mrs Davies thought it was a pizza cutter, but refused to touch it)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information