Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Rock separator - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (May 11, 2022), nova_robotics (May 15, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Why bother picking them up just to toss them back on the ground?

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Why bother picking them up just to toss them back on the ground?
    I think this is a test field for validating design of this sort of tool, but that's a guess, seeing the last few seconds, there's a fairly deep trench that I would guess was from a earlier test pass, or design iteration that left that.

My sister in law's husband is a farmer in northern Minnesota where he has a 30 foot roller to push the rocks into the ground before planting. Sorta a loosing battle with freeze heave every year. And I asked about a picker, and it cleans them up for a few years before new ones come to the surface. Note how narrow this rock picker is, at 8' foot or less (which has been the design for the last 50 years), it would take too much fuel and time to clean 1 square mile of land. Farms up there are in the 4-10 sections size, or larger. All grains, pretty much no live stock anymore. Now that's where the loam is decent, when you get into high alkali soil, or bad lands, that's when I would see live stock. It was cattle up there, here in Iowa, it's hogs.

When they do put the rocks into a wagon pulled by another tractor and operator, they have to get rid of them, and you see long rows of them put on a fence line.

I'm at the southern end of the glaciation that put those rock there. I see big 30" boulders of granite around here. Some fields with the smaller varieties. Very random where the rocks have stayed near the surface to generate this problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    I think this is a test field for validating design of this sort of tool, but that's a guess, seeing the last few seconds, there's a fairly deep trench that I would guess was from a earlier test pass, or design iteration that left that.

My sister in law's husband is a farmer in northern Minnesota where he has a 30 foot roller to push the rocks into the ground before planting. Sorta a loosing battle with freeze heave every year. And I asked about a picker, and it cleans them up for a few years before new ones come to the surface. Note how narrow this rock picker is, at 8' foot or less (which has been the design for the last 50 years), it would take too much fuel and time to clean 1 square mile of land. Farms up there are in the 4-10 sections size, or larger. All grains, pretty much no live stock anymore. Now that's where the loam is decent, when you get into high alkali soil, or bad lands, that's when I would see live stock. It was cattle up there, here in Iowa, it's hogs.

When they do put the rocks into a wagon pulled by another tractor and operator, they have to get rid of them, and you see long rows of them put on a fence line.

I'm at the southern end of the glaciation that put those rock there. I see big 30" boulders of granite around here. Some fields with the smaller varieties. Very random where the rocks have stayed near the surface to generate this problem.
    One of my late uncles at the time far in the future father in law won a small parcel of land(5,500 acres) in a poker game during the big gold strike in Colorado. At the time thought to only be useful for raising sheep since so much of it was peppered with rocks up to about 12" The land laid pretty much fallow for 60 years until my great uncle married his high school sweetheart. For a wedding present They were given their choice of any 3 sections of the land for their homestead. Sometime in the Early 1900s he and she had managed to turn 1 of those sections of land into productive crop producing farmland My grandpa had married the other sister they were also given 3 sections. Eventually huge traction engines littered the valley dragging plows rakes and wagons with 100s of labors picking up rocks claiming the land for fields the 1 brother of the 2 sisters had received his 3 sections when he got married and he set up a crusher to crush the rocks being hauled out of the fields. Now nearly 140 years since the famed poker game there is probably not a pebble larger than a golf ball anywhere on the original 5,500 acres. Some of the highest grade barley in all of Colorado and potatoes are grown there, At one time there must have been more than 50 24inch diameter artesian wells drilled filling miles upon miles of irrigation canals
    Pressing the rocks back into the ground must have never entered their minds. Remove them and they are gone forever if others float up to plow depth, remove them as well.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    One of my late uncles at the time far in the future father in law won a small parcel of land(5,500 acres) in a poker game during the big gold strike in Colorado. At the time thought to only be useful for raising sheep since so much of it was peppered with rocks up to about 12" The land laid pretty much fallow for 60 years until my great uncle married his high school sweetheart. For a wedding present They were given their choice of any 3 sections of the land for their homestead. Sometime in the Early 1900s he and she had managed to turn 1 of those sections of land into productive crop producing farmland My grandpa had married the other sister they were also given 3 sections. Eventually huge traction engines littered the valley dragging plows rakes and wagons with 100s of labors picking up rocks claiming the land for fields the 1 brother of the 2 sisters had received his 3 sections when he got married and he set up a crusher to crush the rocks being hauled out of the fields. Now nearly 140 years since the famed poker game there is probably not a pebble larger than a golf ball anywhere on the original 5,500 acres. Some of the highest grade barley in all of Colorado and potatoes are grown there, At one time there must have been more than 50 24inch diameter artesian wells drilled filling miles upon miles of irrigation canals
    Pressing the rocks back into the ground must have never entered their minds. Remove them and they are gone forever if others float up to plow depth, remove them as well.
    They were tough back then. I just think of the amount of labor to load a horse drawn wagon with stones, then hand unload it again in a rock pile. To do 640 acres, took much dedication.
    Using a 'mobile' rock crusher would be the ticket, still huge labor investment in digging out the partially buried rocks and lifting them to the height needed. I bet they had to use hammers to make the larger boulders small enough for the crusher.
    I look at what our society has now, with people that can't even change oil on their autos, or repair their own home, vs. the folks 100 years ago that did all that, as well built their home. Seems we've inhibited this knowledge transfer, that used to be part of basic survival.

Thanks
    They'll just have the prisoner's come to pick everything up and manually place them into the moving crusher. IF one of them gets stuck in the crusher, "Oh Well".

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information