Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Rocks on my mind!

Thanks

Talking Rocks on my mind!

I came across this forum while looking for ideas/answers to support my addiction...er, HOBBY! I have a mechanical background in several areas including fabrication, welding, millwright, machinist, precision sheet metal, and the "other kind" of sheet metal work...blaa, blaa, blaa. Back to the hobby. I do lapidary work as my hobby and just started a few years ago. One of the first things you find out about it is the expense of diamond tooling. I've always been a diy kind of person, so I was attracted to the thread on diamond tooling. Always looking for a way to fabricate my own.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    I'm mostly looking for a way to fab the "consumables" like sanding/polishing wheels and laps, carving burrs, and drills. I have used several different brands of polishing wheels and some I like their "action" but must be ordered from China, and they don't seem to last, While others seem to last, but are too hard for what is called a "soft wheel". I have even tried the "recoated" wheels from a company called Johnson Brothers lapidary, and found them not to my liking. I have been doing a little research into different kinds of polyester and epoxy resins, trying to find just the right "mix" but have not yet been successful.

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Hi Rixster - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Interesting project, I'll move this into our Tools in Progress subforum so you can get some ideas.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I wonder if for at least some of your operation you might want to go with a wet wheel and instead of bonding the dimond dust particles to the wheel use a slurry this wouldn't be a solution for burr file type of processes but could be used in burnishing holes
    using a slurry is about how a power lapping process is done
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Forty-odd years ago I was into lapidary work as well. Did a lot of reading, and collected a lot of stones that I wanted to cut and polish, but didn't get to actually do much of that until I enlisted in the USAF. The first couple of bases I was stationed at had lapidary units in their hobby shops, among other things, so I used their equipment for a while. I did look into making my own lapidary machines, as I had other things to spend my munificent salary on, but didn't actually get to do that. I did collect a few old Lapidary Journal magazines, and they sometimes had articles about folks building diamond saws, sphere cutters, cabochon and faceting machines, and the like. I learned that laps were often made of copper, tin, and lead, among other things, and that some of the commercial cab machines had spindles of hard rock maple.

Check YouTube. I found this sphere machine that looks much like stuff I saw in those old magazines in a quick search:

DIY lapidary machine got this video, and the side bar has a home-made lap in another video.

Might all be good info!

HTH!

Bill in OKC

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information