Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Roller Box with adjustable in feed for screw cutting

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Roller Box with adjustable in feed for screw cutting

Hi All

following on from my previous post
    https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/small-diameter-turning-tool-360-degree-travelling-steady-76904

This tool was designed and made towards my college HNC project. (some 30 plus years ago)

This is more complicated than the standard small turning tool in the previous linked post above.

This tool can be used to cut several different diameters and also be used to screw cut small diameters. The retracting screw cutting tool is adapted from a designed by G.H. Thomas to suit my roller box.

The basic main body of this tool has two lead screws. This enables both the tool and steady to be adjusted independently. There are two types of travelling steadies that can be fitted, the 360 degree brass button travelling steady or the more traditional two point contact traveling steady. The two point steady is designed with two bearings to support the work piece as it travels along the work piece.

Roller Box with adjustable in feed for screw cutting-retracting-tool.jpg
    Modified retracting tool (original design by:G.H Thomas)

Roller Box with adjustable in feed for screw cutting-stock-size.jpg
    Tool clamping stock can be changed on the back of the retracting tool so it can be used in a standard tool holder, small tool holder or the roller box. The roller box can also be used in the Myford or the much larger Colchester by changing the clamping stock on the back of the roller box.

Roller Box with adjustable in feed for screw cutting-roller-box.jpg
    Roller box main body without tool or steady fitted

Roller Box with adjustable in feed for screw cutting-roller-box-top-view.jpg
    Top view

Roller Box with adjustable in feed for screw cutting-tool-set-screw-cutting.jpg
    Retracting screw cutting tool fitted and 360 button steady. A spacer is used to position steady at correct position relevant to cutting tool. I have several spacers for different cutting tools.

Roller Box with adjustable in feed for screw cutting-standard-steady.jpg
    Roller box fitted with the more traditional two point travelling steady.

Please view my other post which will hopefully make this post a bit clearer.
    Small diameter turning tool with 360 degree travelling steady

Many thanks again for your interest
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

black echo (Aug 17, 2021), DIYSwede (Dec 21, 2019), Jon (Dec 20, 2019), Okapi (Dec 24, 2019), Philip Davies (Feb 13, 2024), rlm98253 (Dec 23, 2019), Scotty12 (Dec 22, 2019), threesixesinarow (Dec 21, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Screw Cutting Roller Box to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information