Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Roof snake for shingle repairs - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts

Roof snake for shingle repairs - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Aug 11, 2020), baja (Aug 11, 2020), carloski (Nov 8, 2021), high-side (Aug 11, 2020), Karl_H (Aug 10, 2020), rdarrylb (Aug 13, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Aug 10, 2020), trigger (Aug 10, 2020)

Thanks
    I have a small japanese fishtail prybar I do that with. It's pretty easy to do it with a tool I already own & carry

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    There's been a couple of times I would've killed for a tool like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Rip all of those asphalt shingles off and install a metal roof if installed with long enough screws to reach into the rafters it will be there forever.
    The reduction in your house ins premiums will probably pay for the roof in a very short time.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Aug 15, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Aug 11, 2020)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Frank, too true...BHP Colorbond roofing here is known to last 50 years before they might need a repaint, and then another 50 before they actually fail.Cheers
    Jim

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    After seeing all the steel sheathing that has been removed from my locality, (my town had the highest derecho winds, 112MPH) the quality of the build is critical. Brand new buildings were stripped. I bet you find they put in half the screws, and short length.
    But this storm was odd in its duration of these beating winds (35 minutes, and rain that forced it way past the window seals). At least I didn't loose my roof or any sheathing. Lost a 11x12 foot area on my storage building. Some cap shingles (on top of the plastic roof vent), vinyl fascia, and vinyl gutters. I've spent the past 4 days hauling, cutting all the down fall. It just stripped the limbs from the trees, big red oaks. Some failed at the roots. The things I can't do are the widow makers left hanging by fibers. Just too high off the ground, and no safe way to cut them. I'm trying to figure out a 20 foot pole saw that I can lift and maneuver to remove branches to lighten the beast.
    Fatalities is now 4, but there should have been more if you were caught out in this.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    After seeing all the steel sheathing that has been removed from my locality, (my town had the highest derecho winds, 112MPH) the quality of the build is critical. Brand new buildings were stripped. I bet you find they put in half the screws, and short length.
    But this storm was odd in its duration of these beating winds (35 minutes, and rain that forced it way past the window seals). At least I didn't loose my roof or any sheathing. Lost a 11x12 foot area on my storage building. Some cap shingles (on top of the plastic roof vent), vinyl fascia, and vinyl gutters. I've spent the past 4 days hauling, cutting all the down fall. It just stripped the limbs from the trees, big red oaks. Some failed at the roots. The things I can't do are the widow makers left hanging by fibers. Just too high off the ground, and no safe way to cut them. I'm trying to figure out a 20 foot pole saw that I can lift and maneuver to remove branches to lighten the beast.
    Fatalities is now 4, but there should have been more if you were caught out in this.
    The last storm of any significance we had in my area was back when I only had half the roof on my shop building and no wind bracing to speak of we had some recorded 10 to 15 minute long sustained winds in the 70 to 80 MPH range with gusts well over the 100 MPH mark. The building didn't receive any damage, and the 25 year old metal roof on our house only had a few screws loosen up which I replaced with longer ones and added more in may areas where I felt there were not enough screws.
    A brand new pre engineered building was being erected about 5 miles away that didn't fair so well. Columns bolted to the slab all of the trusses were installed and the purlin for the roof and sides. they had that thing cable braced 9 ways from Sunday even had temporary bracing in all of the door openings. And only about 1/4 of the roofing on as well as the siding on one end which had 2 12 by 12 doors.
    My building is 18 ft to the eves and 26 feet at the peak 60 ft by 68 ft the other building was and I mean was 40 by 60 with 13 ft to the eves and 16 feet to the peak after the storm it was largely scrap metal it had to be torn completely down some of it was salvageable so they rebuild it as a 40x40
    The wind can do lots of damage in a very short time to things you would never expect to be damaged by

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information