Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Broaching a Keyway on the Lathe with simple materials you have in the shop

Thanks

JRock's Tools

Rotary Broaching a Keyway on the Lathe with simple materials you have in the shop

Rotary Broaching a Keyway on the Lathe with simple materials you probably have in the shop.
    Also my FIrst Video on the New Channel

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JRock For This Useful Post:

chainsawd (Dec 10, 2022), high-side (Feb 1, 2020), Jon (Feb 2, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Jan 31, 2020), oldpastit (Feb 3, 2020), Paul Jones (Feb 4, 2020), Scotty12 (Jan 31, 2020), thehomeengineer (Feb 2, 2020), threesixesinarow (Feb 1, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks JRock! We've added your Rotary Broaching Tool to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: JRock's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

JRock (Jan 31, 2020)

Thanks

JRock's Tools
    Awesome! Thanks!

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi JRock
    I am not great at making videos myself but I would like to give you some feedback as a watcher of this video.
    When talking and having the lathe motor running made it difficult to hear you explain what you were doing. Also it would helpful for those that haven’t tried rotary broaching to have an explanation on the angle of the tool entry to work piece and how the wobble of the tool cuts as it passes through the component being machined. Rotary broaching is quite difficult to get your head around if you have never seen the cutters small movement while both the tool and work piece rotate. I thank you for posting as this is a very interesting subject with many uses and very difficult in my opinion to explain how the process works.
    I look forward to seeing more of your videos and no offence is intended with the feedback.
    The Home Engineer

Thanks

JRock's Tools
    THanks. I appreciate the constructive feedback. Yeah, that's my pullstart 3PH converter running pretty close to the camera. Unfortunately it's the best place to get a nice shot for the lathe work. I'll get around to enclosing it one of these days. I figured there's already a bunch of explanations on how it works by people far more eloquent than myself (TOT and AVE both have great videos on it). I might end up making another one for my 1" Arbors, and I could go through some of that. great idea.

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi JRonk’s
    Rotary broaching is a fascinating subject and is amazing how it works. Looks like you have a nice setup so looking forward to more posts from your shop.
    The Home Engineer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

JRock (Feb 1, 2020)

Thanks

JRock's Tools
    Yeah it is. I was just explaining on FB today, that this particular incarnation is not transferrable to a milling machine with a stationary workpiece, and it bent my brain a hair picturing why not.
    The bearing would have to be offset in the bar to get it to wobble properly.
    How much? Somewhere between a skosh and a bit
    That's one of the nice things, so far as I can tell, and for my purposes, it doesn't need to be precision.
    There's probably optimal settings, and some sort of formula that could be figured, but it doesn't seem critical.

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    It is possible to do on a mill. The spindle obviously rotates and the tool and workpiece both stay stationary. (I say the tool stays stationary!) The tool holder has a chuck type holder but the tool shaft is set in bearings so the spindle rotates but the tool doesn’t (due to tool shaft in bearings) The tool shaft is not at 90 degrees to the main spindle and is at an angle no bigger than a degree. As the spindle rotates the tool is forced to move back and forth and with applied pressure from the mill quill or raising the mill table allows the tool to broach the desired form of the tool while not rotating but more of an oscillating action being used. The tool bit is ground with clearance on the side and slightly dished at the bottom to create clearance and a clean sharp cutting edge. The cutting tool does require a hole the same size or bigger than the A/F of the cutting tool (if cutting squares, hexagons etc) or in the case of a keyway the tool holder would be supported by the bore but would need to be able to move in the bore to allow the cutting tool to move in the same oscillating movement to cut. This could be achieved by having a bead radius on the end of the tool holder the same size of the bore but allowing the tool holder to mov. (I have never cut a keyway using this method hence the interest in your video and post) I will see if I can find a video of the cutting action and post on HMT
    I hope this makes sense and would be very interested in your views and others. Just incase I am totally barking up the wrong tree.
    The Home Engineer
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Feb 2, 2020 at 08:37 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

JRock (Feb 2, 2020)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools

please note I am not connected to this company but this shows the movement of the cutting tool as it cuts. I hope this supports my long winded previous post

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

JRock (Feb 2, 2020)

Thanks

JRock's Tools
    It can be done in a mill, just not in the configuration I use in my video.
    It'd be as simple as offsetting the bearing / center from the center an 1/8" or so.
    The bar would turn and wobble the tool in the stationary workpiece.
    Those tools with the double bearings are lovely, but it doesn't have to be that complicated to get the job done.

Yeah, the ability to cut a keyway without a bunch of extra, expensive tools (or breaking my butt) is what got my fire lit

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JRock For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Feb 2, 2020)

Thread Information