Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: From rust, to t-nuts

Thanks

craig9's Tools

Lightbulb From rust, to t-nuts

Hi folks,

Here's my latest mini project, making some T-nuts from this extremely rusty bar of scrap steel:

Thanks!
    Craig

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craig9 For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Aug 23, 2022), WmRMeyers (Aug 23, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks craig9! We've added your T-Nuts to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: craig9's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by craig9 View Post
    Hi folks,

Here's my latest mini project, making some T-nuts from this extremely rusty bar of scrap steel:

Thanks!
    Craig
    Not exactly sure why, but I love watching people make T-nuts! Nicely done!

Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 6,393 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Not exactly sure why, but I love watching people make T-nuts! Nicely done!

Bill
    Yes, nicely machined. However, someone needs to tell him that one never taps T-nuts all the way through. If you do and then by accident tighten a bolt through to the point where it bottoms out in the slot and begins to lift the nut against the lips of the slot, you can break the lips out of the table.

A recovery is possible. If he damages the threads near the bottom of the nut so a bolt won't thread through he'll be safe. I'm not sure what the best tool to do that is. First thought is a cold chisel but what do I know?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Yes, nicely machined. However, someone needs to tell him that one never taps T-nuts all the way through. If you do and then by accident tighten a bolt through to the point where it bottoms out in the slot and begins to lift the nut against the lips of the slot, you can break the lips out of the table.

A recovery is possible. If he damages the threads near the bottom of the nut so a bolt won't thread through he'll be safe. I'm not sure what the best tool to do that is. First thought is a cold chisel but what do I know?
    I was taught (from a YouTube video) that you do tap through, and then deform the exit threads to prevent the screw bottoming out and breaking out the t-slot. Method suggested was putting the T-nut in a vise or arbor press with a steel ball bearing slightly larger than the root of the threads, and clamping down on it to get the deformation desired. I cannot swear that is the best way to do it, but seems pretty good to me. Wish I could tell you whose video it was, but that was over a dozen years ago, IIRC. I didn't start subscribing or bookmarking videos until a while after that.

Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 6,393 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    I was taught (from a YouTube video) that you do tap through, and then deform the exit threads to prevent the screw bottoming out and breaking out the t-slot. Method suggested was putting the T-nut in a vise or arbor press with a steel ball bearing slightly larger than the root of the threads, and clamping down on it to get the deformation desired. I cannot swear that is the best way to do it, but seems pretty good to me. Wish I could tell you whose video it was, but that was over a dozen years ago, IIRC. I didn't start subscribing or bookmarking videos until a while after that.

Bill
    I've never liked the idea of deforming the threads. With good threads to push against, it's too easy for the bolt to break through the deformation if the simian powering the wrench gets excited.

Having an area with no threads at all forces the bolt to cut new threads to get through. Not impossible with some apes but a lot more difficult.

Regardless, a T-nut should never have threads like a conventional nut.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information