Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Scaling from pictures

Supporting Member Occasional machinist's Avatar
    Thanks

Occasional machinist's Tools

Scaling from pictures

In this video I show the technique that I use when I need to make up parts from drawings or photos. I made up a replacement indexing plunger for one that had been lost some time in the past. The job itself was interesting but the technique I used to get the proportions right will probably be of interest

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Occasional machinist For This Useful Post:

bob_3000 (Feb 22, 2023), butlerandrew (Feb 22, 2023), desbromilow (Feb 22, 2023), emu roo (Feb 22, 2023), Jon (Feb 23, 2023), sossol (Feb 22, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Feb 24, 2023), WmRMeyers (Feb 27, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    That's lovely! Thanks very much. I have some basic experience with this in Fusion 360, but your method of pulling the dimensions off the parts diagram is 10/10.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Not a problem. Sometimes if you need parts for an older machine tool or piece of equipment, this is one of the few ways of getting them

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    If found economically, proportioning dividers and/ or a comparable Perry-graf slide rule, provide takeoffs as well.
    Another scheme saves drawing in MS Paint, then using those isometric projections to generate the scaling axes. That someone should market isometric graph printing paper in 1 degree increments, ain't gonna happen.
    My go-to parallels the demonstration, not having CAD, Paint and SketchUp have worked, but drafting board and related tools remains favorite. Photos are bigger challenge than drawings, picking an object to set scale, sleuthing required.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    ... Photos are bigger challenge than drawings, picking an object to set scale, sleuthing required.
    Sometimes I will annotate a photo or drawing with multipliers of a 'dimension' on the part, so you get the proportions of the part but without tying it to a particular dimension. Leaves it a bit open until you can find a part, photo or even a feature that you can scale (a hole for an attaching bolt perhaps, or a handle of some sort).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Occasional machinist For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Feb 24, 2023)

Thanks
    One very interesting trick in this situation is to use Henner Zeller's Augenmass (eyeball measure) https://github.com/hzeller/augenmass.
    With it, If you have or can guess one measure on a picture, you can draw quotation lines for other dimensions. It's possible to draw and measure angles as well.

Thanks

Angles are tricky. Usually I use the lengths of the sides to work out using trig if they are anything other than 45 degrees as if scales vary on the different axis, getting a number can be tricky. That's where a drawing of what you have scaled helps too, as it provides a useful check of what you have - that is, does it look sensible?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Occasional machinist For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Feb 27, 2023)

Thread Information