Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scrapping out a full brine tank

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    Since we're on plumbing, I have a couple of related questions if that's ok?

1. Anyone here have a heat pump water heater? They are supposedly significantly more energy efficient, and I'd appreciate real-world feedback. My current hot water heater is in our insulated but not climate-controlled Garage. We're in Tennessee, so we have twice or more as many warm days as cold days.

2. For replacing the zincs in a water heater, how do you get them out? Mine don't even budge with my biggest pipe wrench; The whole water heater rotates.
    Try an impact wrench. The hammer-driven sort. And be prepared to replace the tank. Once the zinc goes away, the tank starts eating itself. As I've found out twice while here in this house.

I'm in Oklahoma, and the climate here is such that folks who know better tell me that a heat pump system for AC is about useless most of the time, because it gets too cold, and too hot, for them to work as efficiently as they are supposed to. They did say that if I could get one of the Geo-thermal systems, that would be great! OTH, we have very little topsoil here, and a lot of fairly tough nasty clayey sandstone that is hard & expensive to dig through. Average depth of the topsoil in my yard is about 8". YMMV, since you're in a region I'm not at all familiar with. I drove past Memphis once.

HTH!

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 29, 2022), nova_robotics (Jan 28, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 608 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    2. For replacing the zincs in a water heater, how do you get them out? Mine don't even budge with my biggest pipe wrench; The whole water heater rotates.
    I can't speak to the heat pump water heaters. I'm in Canada and it doesn't make sense to cool your house a good part of the year. A bit of free air conditioning of your shop in Tennessee might make sense though.

The hot water tanks are usually pretty easy to spin, even when full. Do you have an impact that you can try to break it free? Also check the material. I don't think zinc is used. They're all pretty much aluminum, sometimes an aluminum/magnesium alloy, or just magnesium. Aluminum is not something you want in your water supply.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6550484/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6040147/

Edit: WmRMeyers beat me to it.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    If your HW tank is close to or more than 10 years old, it is not usually worth while replacing the rods. If you want to try, you can use a ratchet strap and something like 2 x4 or 4x4 to keep the tank from rotating. Most anode rods I have worked with around here take a 1" socket. I have a 3/4" drive with a breaker bar I use to get them out. Some anodes are attached to the cold water inlet nipple. They are VERY DIFFICULT to remove, as your pipe wrench will often crush the pipe before they release. It is risky to take out old ones, some tanks are "glass lined" they have a ceramic coating inside, that it brittle and will chip off if you have to use lots of torque, or an impact on them. Then the chipped spots will rust through quickly even with new rods. If you use ratchet straps, they have to be wrapped around the tank at the very top or bottom, If you try to tighten around the center, you can crush the tank.

In regard to the heat pump water heater, the garage is a good place for that if it does not freeze there. Just remember when it makes hot water, it also make the surrounding air colder. They are not good inside a closet as some are installed. The more air that have access too the better. The warmer the air, they have access to the better. A garage installation is a good one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 29, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    So you went out and got a new water softener system as an excuse to get a Ryobi Multitool? Brilliant!
    Actually, the Multitool was to soothe my nerves from this plumbing nightmare that I had last week. The leak was inside a stud on an outside wall.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

Thread Information