Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Screwhead chuck

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    or use a 5/16" SHCS since the socket on that is 1/4" hex - that's what I did with my lantern chuck.
    That is a GREAT stealable idea! Consider it stolen! With thanks!

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Using SHCS as impromptu socket wrenches is a useful trick in other areas. I make wrenches for the 2-56 hex head screws so common in model steam engines.

This chart...

Socket Head Cap Screw Size Chart

will allow folks to see what sizes are available.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Yes, that would be great, but sadly, in my metric world, for once, it would not help...

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Marv: First, Thank you for one of the best SHCS charts I have seen. It is especially useful in this age of CAM because all the dims are there for generating the correct counterbore as well as the usual clearance dims. Second, I'm trying to print it out to laminate it into a survivable reference. Of course its HTML and thus a mess to print cleanly. So I went here to try and find the source of your chart. After drilling around for more than a 1/2 hr I still can't find where they have hidden the chart. BTW, thanks for the pointer to CSG . . . another wonderful reference. So, any hints on how I can edit the chart for a nice printout? I also googled "how to edit HTML" and got the usual page of outdated, useless references. Help, please! :-)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Yes, that would be great, but sadly, in my metric world, for once, it would not help...
    The 2nd page of the chart is everything metric! Not sure what you are looking for.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Marv: First, Thank you for one of the best SHCS charts I have seen. It is especially useful in this age of CAM because all the dims are there for generating the correct counterbore as well as the usual clearance dims. Second, I'm trying to print it out to laminate it into a survivable reference. Of course its HTML and thus a mess to print cleanly. So I went here to try and find the source of your chart. After drilling around for more than a 1/2 hr I still can't find where they have hidden the chart. BTW, thanks for the pointer to CSG . . . another wonderful reference. So, any hints on how I can edit the chart for a nice printout? I also googled "how to edit HTML" and got the usual page of outdated, useless references. Help, please! :-)
    Using Firefox, I was able to take a screenshot and download it. It ends up being a ~420 kb PNG file. No messing with HTML required.

Give that a try for yourself. If it doesn't pan out, PM me your email address and I'll send you an email with the downloaded PNG attached.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Thanks for the suggestion, Marv. I tried a few screenshots but never could get it as crisp as printed text. I finally dumped the data into a Word table and fooled around with it far too long but ended up with something acceptable.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information