Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Sealand micronation - photo

  1. #1
    Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12,020
    Thanks
    1,365
    Thanked 30,173 Times in 9,994 Posts

    Sealand micronation - photo

    Principality of Sealand, an unrecognized micronation in the North Sea. Founded by British pirate radio broadcaster Paddy Roy Bates in 1967 after taking over the WWII naval installation.

    Fullsize image: https://diqn32j8nouaz.cloudfront.net...y_fullsize.jpg



    Previously:

    Countries sorted by land area - photo
    Towing a gas platform out to sea - photos
    Offshore platform in heavy seas - GIF
    Floating Instrument Platform - GIF
    Literal translation of country names - infographic

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

    baja (Jul 10, 2022), nova_robotics (Jul 7, 2022), rlm98253 (Jul 7, 2022)

  3. #2
    Supporting Member Toolmaker51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    5,333
    Thanks
    7,042
    Thanked 2,989 Times in 1,896 Posts

    Toolmaker51's Tools
    Europe has a few examples of pirate stations. I'm sure the 'pirate' label is from the government, less able to regulate transmissions and content, or tax the operation. Another, ship-based and very well known, Radio Caroline, seemed to have lots more public fans than regulators.
    Freedom is not for just talking about, it must be exercised.

    2,000+ Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

  4. #3
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    11,382
    Thanks
    2,056
    Thanked 8,935 Times in 4,276 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    If they can set up shop at least 200 miles off of any countries coast, there is not a lot that can be done about them. Part of the reasoning a few years back there was talk about construction complete floating cities to combat the supposed rising sea levels. What would happen if the residents? decided to move their entire city away from the parent country? Would there be any legal way to stop them?
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

  5. #4
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    2,262
    Thanks
    10,660
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 643 Posts

    nova_robotics's Tools
    DO NOT give them money to become a Lord of Sealand. It sounds like a funny gag gift at first, but it's a scam. They send you a piece of paper, which YOU fill out and it costs around $50 or something. But then they sign you up for a $35/month subscription service. They sucked a few hundred bucks out of my credit card before I caught that. Jerks.

  6. #5
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    11,382
    Thanks
    2,056
    Thanked 8,935 Times in 4,276 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    DO NOT give them money to become a Lord of Sealand. It sounds like a funny gag gift at first, but it's a scam. They send you a piece of paper, which YOU fill out and it costs around $50 or something. But then they sign you up for a $35/month subscription service. They sucked a few hundred bucks out of my credit card before I caught that. Jerks.
    There are lots of web sites that ask for credit card info supposedly as proof of identity all the while stating the information you are seeking is free. They sometimes neglect to inform you there will be a reoccurring monthly charge. Computer software companies are notorious for this.
    If I'm going to be charged for something I want to know about it up front that way I can decide to subscribe or not to subscribe. Even on the ones I do subscribe to like looking up a VIN number on a vehicle I cancel my subscription as soon as I have the info I am looking for. Barring that I use what my bank calls a burner debit card not linked to my main checking account but to a small savings account that I only transfer money into when needed then if I forget or don't remember to cancel whoever is trying to make the charges against it gets a no balance response. The bank calls me and asks if the charge is valid if so, I will add money to the account if not they send me a new card.
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 7, 2022 at 09:03 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

  7. #6
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    2,262
    Thanks
    10,660
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 643 Posts

    nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    There are lots of web sites that ask for credit card info supposedly as proof of identity all the while stating the information you are seeking is free. They sometimes neglect to inform you there will be a reoccurring monthly charge. Computer software companies are notorious for this.
    This looked just like a normal online order. You pay them money and they make you a "Lord" of their micronation. But then after you complete the order you also get billed $35/month forever until you block the charge. Bastards.

  8. #7
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    11,382
    Thanks
    2,056
    Thanked 8,935 Times in 4,276 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    This looked just like a normal online order. You pay them money and they make you a "Lord" of their micronation. But then after you complete the order you also get billed $35/month forever until you block the charge. Bastards.
    I remember a few years back some outfit was supposedly selling 1 square foot of Scottland to people then were supposed to send them a document declaring them a lord or some such
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

  9. #8
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    2,262
    Thanks
    10,660
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 643 Posts

    nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I remember a few years back some outfit was supposedly selling 1 square foot of Scottland to people then were supposed to send them a document declaring them a lord or some such
    I've seen ads for that recently. It's definitely still around. That's the kind of stupid gag that I WOULD have went for previously, but not now.



    2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •