Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Secret of silicone

Supporting Member Kovanca Polock's Avatar
    Thanks

Kovanca Polock's Tools

Lightbulb Secret of silicone

The secret of silicone that few people know about.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Jan 22, 2022 at 03:50 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kovanca Polock For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 25, 2022), Little Rabbit (Jan 30, 2022), nova_robotics (Jan 24, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Kovanca Polock! We've added your Silicone-Based Mixtures to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Kovanca Polock's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Feb 3, 2022 at 03:35 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    When you mix gasoline with silicone, does that spray leave a thin layer of silicone that sets up like normal when you spray it on a surface? I could use something like this for sealing dusty aerogel based products. I've been using a silicone spray but it's a beast to work with.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Think about this! You are spraying gasoline in a fine mist into the air. Once you reach the proper ratio of fuel to air, a spark or open flame will turn it into a fireball.

Homemadetools.net should take this one down!

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

Kovanca Polock's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    Think about this! You are spraying gasoline in a fine mist into the air. Once you reach the proper ratio of fuel to air, a spark or open flame will turn it into a fireball.

Homemadetools.net should take this one down!

Rick
    Any aerosol is flammable, you might as well try to ban all aerosols in the world.

Thanks

Kovanca Polock's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    When you mix gasoline with silicone, does that spray leave a thin layer of silicone that sets up like normal when you spray it on a surface? I could use something like this for sealing dusty aerogel based products. I've been using a silicone spray but it's a beast to work with.
    Silicone can be diluted in any proportions, made liquid, like syrup, or thick, like sour cream.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I disagree with taking this down.

With all due respect RG, they are lots of things, shown here and life in general, that require some level of intelligence and caution to use. I will venture to say are very few subscribers to this list, that are not aware of the explosion hazard of vaporized solvents.

It is dangerous to eat. It is dangerous to drive. It is dangerous to just sit and watch TV. It is dangerous to be alive. The trick is NOT to remove all of the dangerous things, the secret is to be aware.

Shifting gears..... My question centers around silicones compatibility with gasoline. I know that most silicone formulations are suitable for use in contact with gasoline. There are some that are "resistant". I do not know however if this true for "purified" gasoline, as I am not sure what that is. When I was a kid, we could buy "white gas" from a special pump at the gas station. We used it as a cleaning solvent, and fuel for camp stoves and lanterns. Perhaps it is the additives in modern gasoline that are the problem. So, maybe Coleman fuel would work for this?

As I recall white gas was quite a bit more expensive, maybe 30 cents a gallon instead of 22 cents for regular gasoline(that . Of course to keep things in perspective, I got paid 50 to 75 cents, maybe a $1.00 for mowing the neighbors lawn with push mower... the kind with NO ENGINE on it!!! Of curse that did save me the ?? cents I would need for fuel if I had a power mower.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 30, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovanca Polock View Post
    Any aerosol is flammable, you might as well try to ban all aerosols in the world.
    Gasoline is not just flammable, it is explosive when mixed with air.
    Rick

Thanks

Kovanca Polock's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    Gasoline is not just flammable, it is explosive when mixed with air.
    That is, propane-butane in the composition of aerosols is not explosive enough for you. Ordinary, hairspray is much more dangerous.

Thanks

Kovanca Polock's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I disagree with taking this down.

With all due respect RG, they are lots of things, shown here and life in general, that require some level of intelligence and caution to use. I will venture to say are very few subscribers to this list, that are not aware of the explosion hazard of vaporized solvents.

It is dangerous to eat. It is dangerous to drive. It is dangerous to just sit and watch TV. It is dangerous to be alive. The trick is NOT to remove all of the dangerous things, the secret is to be aware.

Shifting gears..... My question centers around silicones compatibility with gasoline. I know that most silicone formulations are suitable for use in contact with gasoline. There are some that are "resistant". I do not know however if this true for "purified" gasoline, as I am not sure what that is. When I was a kid, we could buy "white gas" from a special pump at the gas station. We used it as a cleaning solvent, and fuel for camp stoves and lanterns. Perhaps it is the additives in modern gasoline that are the problem. So, maybe Coleman fuel would work for this?

As I recall white gas was quite a bit more expensive, maybe 30 cents a gallon instead of 22 cents for regular gasoline(that . Of course to keep things in perspective, I got paid 50 to 75 cents, maybe a $1.00 for mowing the neighbors lawn with push mower... the kind with NO ENGINE on it!!! Of curse that did save me the ?? cents I would need for fuel if I had a power mower.
    Refined gasoline is odorless gasoline.

Thread Information