Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: segmenting symposium wood turnings

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts

segmenting symposium wood turnings

Some images from the 2014 Segmenting Symposium from the Segmented Woodturners:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Sep 18, 2016), Paul Jones (Sep 16, 2016), PJs (Sep 19, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 20, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Jon,

Truly amazing work. I appreciate these types of posts that you find and share with us. There is so much to discover and learn.

Thank you, Paul

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 19, 2016)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks! If you're trying to encourage me, it's working. Instead of making daily posts in the Best Build Threads subforum, I'm spending that block of time doing this.

I have hundreds more in my Tool Talk folder, and am planning to drip them out at around two per day. I'm gathering information using a mix of basic scripts I wrote and just plain surfing the web. Let me know if there's any specific type of content that you particularly like.

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Jon, this is wonderful way to introduce us to new and different work.

I would prefer to see what you have found because it will be something we probably didn't even know existed. I am disappointed with people when someone says they are bored in their retirement years. There are so many things to learn and do starting with small steps and getting better and branching out. The best thing is there are now so many resources at our finger tips that there is no way to be bored.

Keep them coming. Thank you!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 19, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 20, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Truly amazing craftsmanship and some of the geometry really spoke to me but the plunger at the end got me good!

Paul, Totally agree with all your points about continual learning...whatever the age.

Yepper Keep em' coming Jon. If your run across any stuff about pumping exotic fluids, (ferromagnetic in particular) I'd be totally thrilled. Not a lot out there on it although NASA and now the auto industries are using it a lot and for quite a while now.

Thanks for all of these candles and twinkly lights!! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    PJs,

"Pumping exotic fluids" and I thought you were planning to work on a magnetohydrodynamic drive propulsion system like the one in the movie "Hunt for Red October" (although I think the novel used a simpler low-cavitation pump-jet but the movie version sounds very technologically superior).

Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 20, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Paul,

Nope, MHD's have been around since the mid 60's and enjoy the way Clancy does his research, even more that he was on that cutting edge by the mid 80's'. It's funny because movies/books generally allude to some cutting edge tech thing ~10 years past (except a few visionaries) and may include a future possibility like Clancy. Who knows what's really out there on the edge of the aethers now...it's all moving exponentially and hard to keep up without specializing.

I became interested in Ferromagnetic fluid back in the day when I saw it in "NASA Tech Briefs" I think or some other trade journal and have continued to watch it's development over the years. The particulate tech of it and suspension mediums have come a long way since and used pretty regularly in ride control system in automotive now. In my case an MHD type unit creates a myriad of issues with "ferro fluid" regulating flow & lock up. I originally thought a peristaltic would work for the app I have in mind but the peristaltic waves create some obstacles not easily overcome with flow straightening and pressure drop. I'm kind of in the mind set of a modified Tesla turbine pump from non ferrous stainless to maybe hold up to it's abrasive qualities, then again there are the Messy seal issues as well. The other issue as always is keeping it out of earshot/hands of the Circumlocution Office (loved that BTW).

A little light reading...perhaps....

Sorry Jon, this may not be appropriate for a thread like this (in particular) but still interested in what you bring forward for us to light some candles with and Always appreciated!

Thanks, ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 20, 2016)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I'll take a look and see what I can find on ferrofluids.

Don't get me started on submarine movies. Hunt for Red October, U-571, Das Boot, many more great ones. This is actually a recognized film subgenre. Many more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_films

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 23, 2016), PJs (Sep 20, 2016)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Jon,
    Thank you very much for the link to submarine movies! My father was a merchant marine captain for 42 years and during WWII he was convoy captain and also convoy lead captain on many trans-Atlantic runs out of NYC to Great Britain and Murmansk. He rarely talked about the convoy runs except to say there were several near misses when he should have "zigged instead of zagged" as he put it. I know my mother said she had no idea when they left on a convoy or where they were going. I guess that started my fascination with submarines.
    Thanks, Jon

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 23, 2016)

Thanks

jotasierra's Tools
    Muuuuuuyyyyyy agradecido Jon por este aporte, una maravilla de trabajo, manos maestras.....:Pulgares hacia arriba::aplausos:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information