Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: serration spline cutter

Thanks

serration spline cutter

I need help working out the details to make a cutter for splining a 1.250 shaft I want to use a serrated type of spline but I have no idea of what I will need as far as the number of splines that can be cut on that dia shaft I am also making a rotary broach to match the splined shaft. I will be using the tools to make custom sway bars for street cars and hot rods. any help or comments on this will be most welcome. Thanks, John

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Following this thread, and hoping to see a photo of the product, john muller.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYer View Post
    Following this thread, and hoping to see a photo of the product, john muller.
    I'm getting info on this project together and will be starting in a few days . I'll keep posting as I go

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I cruise threads by search terms. I ring in on many that many don't generate much input. If I was a presidential hopeful, that would build my constituency. However none of them know machine work, so...
    First we need what variety of splines are desired. Most prevalent are involute; yet others exist too. Theory - West Michigan Spline Next will be desired fit, permanent or part of an adjustment feature, and allowable clearance. An example are those on a motorcycle shifter shaft, minimal rotational clearance and locks with a binding bolt. Avoid a blind female socket. Size equals strength, heat treatable materials are more dependable.
    After deciding what materials will be used, next will be if the work is in-house or farmed out. You'll want good grade go/no-go gauges to monitor size in either case. For parts, most externals are rolled, and internals broached. Milling and grinding them are like single-pointing threads; tolerance control at labor intensive expense. Equipment is special purpose, large and pricey.
    The Machinists Handbook and Marks Standard Engineering give design guidelines based on torque calculations, of course the net is a vast but questionable library.

Here, a google search for splined shafting turned up many results. I need a length, longer than travel of any mill I've access to, to repair an old drill press. Found material in one try.
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...Spline+shaft&*

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 2, 2017 at 10:44 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information