Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Setting up an area for punch presses

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Setting up an area for punch presses

I'm asking for what kind of considerations to make, setting up for a group of punch presses. 5 units, ranging from 22 to 85 ton.
    Like which way should they face?
    How much room around them?
    Are they placed square or angled to the floor plan, like common for mills and lathes? I don't have stock feeders or uncoilers yet.
    My first intuition says to place them staggered, facing 'forward' with the smallest to the rear, as the material and output is of course smaller. This might also consume less floor space.
    Setting up an area for punch presses-obi_presses.jpg Setting up an area for punch presses-obi-presses-3.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Shelly142's Tools
    I would suggest locating your equipment skewed or angled.

Is this line being prepared for a specific product or does it have the possibility of changing over time to include something else down the road?

I guess first question is do you have or plan to develop a layout of just how this equipment will reside in your building? Is this something you will prepare or is this being accomplished by someone else? An accurate footprint of all the required equipment would be very helpful in your determining the best arrangement as well as space requirements. This would also encompass considerations for material handling for I’m assuming coiled stock, an un-coiler or payoff reel, with a device to coil the waste stock. Will the parts being produced be net trimmed (holes and periphery) in the flat with a possible second operation of forming on a power brake or hydraulic press?

Considerations for loading the un-coiler, with access for a fork lift or is overhead crane available. Similar considerations would be necessary to deal with the scrap/waste materials. Access to machines to load and remove the necessary die sets. Designated area to stage/store both materials and production tooling.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Draw a scale plan of your shop. Draw in your other work areas, fixed plant, machines etc
    Cut out scale footprints of your machines, taking into allowance the operating parts that overhang the footprint and play around with the positioning, imagining pedestrian movement, ease of access.
    If you anticipate getting the other "support" machines, then perhaps make some cutouts of them and try fitting them in as well

Thanks
    Doing a floor plan is definitely a goer.

Im only running a couple of small units (15 and 25 tonne). My shed space is a bit tight and dies aren't very big, so just use scissor lift table to move them around.
    My batch sizes are usually no more than a few hundred at a time, so same table can be used to move em around to where I bundle and load onto a pallet.

One thing I did was to have a die set with a few different "stations" on it. Only simple processes like flatten, bend and round punch, but once the shut height is set right, then can run several jobs without having to change out. Cause Im only working with thin guage stuff (under 1mm), then not concerned with fact that 2 stations aren't in centre of die set.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Seriously, Thanks! for the feedback guys.
    Originally, I'd thought placing their corners somewhat adjacent, with smallest to the rear, [ie staggered front right of one to rear left of next]. Would be a small footprint and leave all for sides open to servicing, reels, feeders and scrap bins. But no amount of tweaking kept the 'depth' under 14', obstructing the straightaway forklift entry. Otherwise I see that concept a winner.
    As it stands, the presses are in, adhering to the recommendations offered. The floor plan was created long ago, literally drew it in Excel. I had them placed along an undesignated 40' wall, askew towards interior of shop [away from forklift door]. As such that opening should ease material placement, with 85 ton farthest away. The centerline of bolster, X so to speak, looks right through center of said door, allowing a potential 60' of strip. There aren't any diesets waiting to run, when I build they'll have stock choppers, effective enough. All but one are 3ph 440v powered and vary with trip pedals, palm buttons and foot switches. The Bliss 19 1/2M has an immense 110v motor which right now is convenient. I need a die to slot and hole 10 gauge 2 piece brackets for wireway hangers.
    Industrial power can go in after sheetrock to enclose ceiling. We get weather, I want insulation. Next year, heat!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information