Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Short Marlin Spike

Supporting Member MetalDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools

Short Marlin Spike

A gentleman by the name of Steve asked me this past Fall if I could make him a shorter Marlin Spike.
    ( Correct name is a Podger )

Short Marlin Spike-short-marlin-spike-1.jpg

He was using a longer Adjustable Spud Wrench when adding extensions to Helical Drilling Pipe connections and the dirt sides of the holes were in the way many times depending on the position of the pipe & holes.

Short Marlin Spike-spud-wrench.jpg

Looked in the Scrap Bin for some metal that would work ...

Short Marlin Spike-short-marlin-spike-2.jpg

I used 7/8" & 5/8" scrap 'All-Thread' to make this Shorter Podger 3" long because there is no need to go all the way through both sides of the pipe to line up the holes.

Short Marlin Spike-short-marlin-spike-3.jpg

Turned down the 7/8" All-Thread on the lathe but left enough thread for a Safety Stop nut to keep fingers away from the hole edges.

Short Marlin Spike-short-marlin-spike-4.jpg

It worked so well when testing it, decided to use it in the shop on a project to line up large flat-plate bolt holes ... and then painted it red to give to Steve for his projects.

Short Marlin Spike-short-marlin-spike.jpg

Thanks for the idea Steve ... I will miss having it in the shop so going to make one for myself.

CHEERS!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Jan 27, 2016 at 10:40 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jul 27, 2019), DrByte (Jan 26, 2016), Jon (Jan 25, 2016), kbalch (Jan 25, 2016), NortonDommi (Nov 21, 2017), olderdan (Nov 23, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 25, 2016), PJs (Jan 27, 2016), sossol (Apr 12, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks MetalDesigner! We've added your Podger Hole Alignment Tool to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: MetalDesigner's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 27, 2021 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Great little tool you have made here but both the old and new one are more correctly called "PODGERS" not Marlin Spikes. Marlin Spikes are rope working tools used mainly when splicing ropes. Podger Spanners are a Riggers/Scaffolders tool and plain Podgers are used for all sorts of mechanical hole alignment purposes. Thanks for sharing your build, it is obviously well made and designed. Short Podgers like this would be very handy where space was restricted.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Jan 28, 2016), Jon (Jan 26, 2016), kbalch (Jan 27, 2016), PJs (Jan 27, 2016)

Thanks
    Great info re: "podger" - that's one I'd never previously encountered. I'd call it a tapered drift, myself.

I always thought of a marlinspike as something one might see on a vintage sailing vessel such as a so-called "tall ship".

Ken

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Great little tool you have made here but both the old and new one are more correctly called "PODGERS" not Marlin Spikes. Marlin Spikes are rope working tools used mainly when splicing ropes. Podger Spanners are a Riggers/Scaffolders tool and plain Podgers are used for all sorts of mechanical hole alignment purposes. Thanks for sharing your build, it is obviously well made and designed. Short Podgers like this would be very handy where space was restricted.
    Thank you for the correct name ... I never know what to call these items and the only name I remember is Marlin-Spike because my name in Marlin *Laughing* ... but seriously, thank you for the correct name. CHEERS!!

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    The person above mentioned the correct name is Podger which is very helpful because I now have a correct name to use on the Job Site ... Previously I called everything with a point a Marlin-Spike because my name in Marlin ... So technically being a Marlin and I made it then it could be called my "Marlin" Spike or Marlin's spike ... Just having fun!! Thanks for the Correct name ... Podger it is ... and also Thank You for the correct usage for what a real Marlinspike is... I probably picked up the name MarlinSpike when I was working on ships. CHEERS!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Jan 27, 2016 at 10:43 PM.

Thread Information