Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: low profile vise

Thanks

celsoari's Tools

low profile vise

Here's a video of the vise I made for the milling machine:

strong hug
    Celso Ari

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to celsoari For This Useful Post:

allenz (Oct 21, 2019), bobs409 (Oct 18, 2019), Crusty (Oct 11, 2019), dgbreggin (Aug 4, 2022), emu roo (Sep 29, 2022), Frankd68 (Oct 13, 2019), Home-PC (Sep 29, 2022), Jon (Oct 17, 2019), MeJasonT (Oct 21, 2019), Skun Knuckles (May 21, 2022), trevor_60_r (Nov 8, 2019), WyoGreen (Oct 20, 2019)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Another nice, useful project! I know it's just my habit but I wouldn't be able to start milling before giving those clamped pieces at least one firm whack with a mallet. That's a useful tip for keeping the parallels upright too.

I've got some serious envy going on of you guys with the large collections of raw materials to work with.

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks celsoari! We've added your Low Profile Vise to our Vises category,
    as well as to your builder page: celsoari's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

celsoari (Oct 12, 2019)

Thanks

celsoari's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Another nice, useful project! I know it's just my habit but I wouldn't be able to start milling before giving those clamped pieces at least one firm whack with a mallet. That's a useful tip for keeping the parallels upright too.

I've got some serious envy going on of you guys with the large collections of raw materials to work with.
    thanks for the comments and the tips friend.
    greetings from Brazil

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    The way to get a "large collection of raw materials" is to make enough mistakes on your other projects!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Karl_H For This Useful Post:

Skun Knuckles (May 21, 2022)

Thanks

celsoari's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    The way to get a "large collection of raw materials" is to make enough mistakes on your other projects!
    its true.

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Beautiful workmanship! Very useful too!

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    My friend Rogerio de Silva from Brazil and I were having a talk some time ago about engineering in Brazil. I don't think many have any idea how expensive it is to buy equipment out there let alone materials. Rogerio asked me how much I paid for my Lathe, I told him £1200. He said it would be cheaper in Brazil to buy a car than my lathe - I just about fell over.
    So my friend celsoari hat off to you for a fantastic piece of machining, I also learnt a couple of skills watching your video clip.
    I saw a similar project to yours and made a pair of adjustable vice jaws as well. my jaws are not shiny like yours and have not been faced to square them up - just used some machined square stock i purchased. i am so embarrassed i am now going back to finish them.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks

celsoari's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    My friend Rogerio de Silva from Brazil and I were having a talk some time ago about engineering in Brazil. I don't think many have any idea how expensive it is to buy equipment out there let alone materials. Rogerio asked me how much I paid for my Lathe, I told him £1200. He said it would be cheaper in Brazil to buy a car than my lathe - I just about fell over.
    So my friend celsoari hat off to you for a fantastic piece of machining, I also learnt a couple of skills watching your video clip.
    I saw a similar project to yours and made a pair of adjustable vice jaws as well. my jaws are not shiny like yours and have not been faced to square them up - just used some machined square stock i purchased. i am so embarrassed i am now going back to finish them.
    True friend, the machines and devices are very expensive here in my country. Raw materials are cheap. That's why we manufacture our own tools. In addition to expensive, it is difficult to find to buy. For example, there is no lathe dog in my country stores.

Greetings from Brazil

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    We figure we'll be building a lot of the new things we need at the new house. But one of the things I checked before we decided on our move to Russia is does AliExpress ship there. They do and we have a major train depot in town for heavy item deliveries.

So, I will be selling my big milling machine here and buying a new one from AliExpress there. So much easier than trying to get a 300kg mill shipped over there.

Thread Information